Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-67571/)

longunner 07-03-2012 10:45 PM

Mosin Nagant

Thinking of getting a mosin nagant to hunt deer/ to have a good bolt action rifle that will shoot pretty far...any thoughts? I've also been thinking of buying 2 to keep one in original condition (to maybe sell in 50 years?) and one to get maybe a new stock and some other goodies for.

SSGN_Doc 07-03-2012 10:58 PM

Ammo selection is pretty small. Accuracy can vary pretty widely depending on condition of the gun and bore. Also different guns like different ammo. Mounting scopes is not as practical on these as some other platforms. So, as a reliable long range hunting piece, there are better choices.

mountainman13 07-03-2012 10:59 PM

Great rifle for the money. Buy them before they dry up and get expensive.

SSGN_Doc 07-03-2012 11:00 PM

Now if you just wanted to get a inexpensive blaster, that isfun and cheap to shoot right now, then they are great. If that blaster turned out to be really accurate, then it could double as a hunting gun.

jpattersonnh 07-03-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 857828)
Ammo selection is pretty small. Accuracy can vary pretty widely depending on condition of the gun and bore. Also different guns like different ammo. Mounting scopes is not as practical on these as some other platforms. So, as a reliable long range hunting piece, there are better choices.

Actually Heavy ball is accurate for targets, plinking. 180 and 203gr sp are perfect for hunting. Sure there are better long range rifles, but not at $100.00. Mounting a scope is pretty simple if you use a scout mount. PU mounts were used on high wall rifles. Even if a Smith charges $20.00 a hole, that is $60.00.
They will work w/ a low wall also.

bamashooter68 07-05-2012 06:09 PM

I have killed deer with my M-44 shooting S&B 174gr. match ammo. I know its not recommended but it done the job very well. S&B makes good ammo for hunting as does privi partisan.

SSGN_Doc 07-05-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 857901)
Actually Heavy ball is accurate for targets, plinking. 180 and 203gr sp are perfect for hunting. Sure there are better long range rifles, but not at $100.00. Mounting a scope is pretty simple if you use a scout mount. PU mounts were used on high wall rifles. Even if a Smith charges $20.00 a hole, that is $60.00.
They will work w/ a low wall also.

It may depend on what he means by long range.

I've seen Mosins that shoot at or around 1" at 100yds and I've seen some that would shoot 6-8" groups at 100yds , which would be pushing it to shoot at a deer for a reliable kill much beyond that distance. I One mosin that shoots Brown Bear bullets at about 1.5" at 100 yds, but this is because the bore is pretty worn and the Brown bear bullets are a bit larger in diameter so they engage the rifling better. With other loads it can vary from 2-4" groups at 100yds.

All I'm saying is that someone buying one cannot bet that the one they get will shoot accurately enough to be counted on as a long range deer gun. There is something resembling a game of chance when buying a Mosin.

Some are indeed accurate enough to take a shot at deer out to 400 yds. But again, there is no guarantee that picking one off of a rack will get you one that is capable of that level of accuracy.

Yes, tehy can be scoped, but they are not ideal for using a conventional scope. Bolt needs to be bent or have a bent bolt fitted. Action needs to eb drilled and tapped, or yes there is a scout scope which is not ideal for long range, but an improvement over iron sights.

I do think that at the current prices Mosins are a good deal as historical pieces and casual shooters. I you find one that is accurate, then it mught be worth putting it to use on deer. Hopefully it likes one of the few hunting loads out there, as most surplus ammo is not allowed for hunting in most states.

longunner 07-05-2012 09:53 PM

When I say long range I mean 200 yards max...also i recently heard that the mosin uses 7.62x54r and that this is a rimfire cartridge will this affect accuracy in any major way and/or am I wrong about the bullet in the first place?

longunner 07-05-2012 09:54 PM

"most surplus ammo is not allowed for hunting in most states. "

I wasn't aware of that thanks for the info doc

spack762 07-05-2012 10:09 PM

The 7.62x54r is a centerfire. The 'R' stands for rimmed. It's one of the oldest rounds in use by a military.
Back in the old days the Russians used it as a inderect fire support round out of there heavey machinguns. I've read that it was accuirt to 5000 meters.