Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Mosin Nagant (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-66219/)

rmcmahanP345 06-11-2012 06:33 AM

Mosin Nagant

I've always seen these Mosins on sale at Big 5 sporting goods, but never gave them a second look for a couple reasons: 1) Any foreign rifle for under $200.00 couldn't be that great. 2) Its probably a weapon you can't even find ammo for! Well, I was at Turners Outdoorsman the other day stocking up on ammo for my weekly trip to the range and at the end of the rifle ammo side was a huge stack of 7.62X54 which handled concern #2, so I went home to google some opinions on the weapon which seemed to be very favorable. I got onto You Tube and found a couple videos displaying the accuracy of the weapon also. Just curious if there is anybody out there who has one of these that could give me some feedback before I decide to add one of these to my collection.

Wiebelhaus 06-11-2012 06:35 AM

Here's a advice thread I got on these rifles from the fine folks here, still haven't picked one up yet, things keep getting in my way.

jsbowman 06-11-2012 09:24 AM

I like mine a lot. Got it for 80 from WWW.kygunco.com

SSGN_Doc 06-11-2012 10:11 AM

Good guns for the price as far as a historical piece that is currently affoardae and shootable. Condition means a lot as far as how accurate they can be. A lot of the most recent ones have really dark bores and a lot of the early imports with nice bores often got neglected after shooting corrosive ammo. Ammo quality is pretty variable also. So, as long as you are of planning on a long range precision gun at a bargain they are usually solid shooters inside the 200 yd range uses you luck into a really nice example. 2-3 inch groups at 100 yds is about average. Some do better, some do worse.

c3shooter 06-11-2012 10:32 AM

They are cheap becuase after WW 2, when the Soviets were going to the SKS and AK47, they took their M-N's, put them through an arsenal rebuild, and put them away in the war stock reserve storage. Needing currency, they dumped a few million of them in the US market.

Most are not target rifles, but will shoot minute-of-zombie at 300 yards. Milsurp ammo is priced just above dirt. Cheaper than Fritos. You can buy two and a years worth of ammo for the cost of a rusty 30-30. Prices have been edging up, and supply will eventually dry up.

BRAD313 06-11-2012 06:32 PM

If u want a fun cheap gun to shot can't beat. it easy to clean n brake down got a lil kick to it tho and for the price u can't get a .22 for that price. rounds are cheap to. make sure u clean the gun as soon as your done at the range

bige91603 06-11-2012 06:56 PM

I've had mine for about a year. Take it to the range once a month for the Hell of it. I had a scout scope system on it for a while because I used it for white tail last season and it would hold 3in groups at 200 yds. The only problem with the surplus ammo is that they have corrosive primers and you have the clean then spotless after every time you put some rounds through. But for $80 its a steal and I'm gonna pick up another one to restore alone with my nagant revolver

pioneer461 06-12-2012 05:12 PM

I was given a M-N, M-44 as a gift from my son a few years ago. Not a tack driver, but neither is it a throw-away. I can consistently hit a man sized target, off-hand at 100+ yards using the iron sights. I don't shoot it often, but I know that it is reliable and "combat accurate." The 7.62 x 54R is a very powerful cartridge that should be able to take down any two, or four legged critter in N. America. There is lots of surplus Russian ammo out there, and Winchester makes a semi jacketed soft point round. If all else fails, it has a built-in, folding bayonet. :cool:

I'm keeping it original, not for any "collector" value, but just for historical reasons.

Capybara 06-12-2012 06:52 PM

I just bought my first 91/30. They are really cool, historic (mine is a 1942 Izhevsk and according to the experts, there is a good chance my rifle was issued and used to shoot some Nazis). Ammo is the bargain of the century, you can find it for .17 per round in quantity. Yes, it does shoot corrosive, but so what, so did every U.S. military gun prior to the 1950s. Just means you cannot be lazy and NOT clean it when you shoot it, no biggie.

IMHO, every shooter should have a Mosin in the gun safe. Cheap, reliable and fun to shoot, they make a big boom and a big fireball. They are not as accurate as modern rifles but they are more accurate than most non-benchrest shooters are.

Get one while they are cheap.

therewolf 06-12-2012 08:02 PM

I got my first Mosin (a clean, Polish, 1955 M44) by coincidence more than

on purpose. Thinking, ehh, I'll just fire a magazine, clean it, and throw it in

storage as a conversation piece. I got it with a potload of ammo, which

I took with me to the range. About 80 rounds (and a sore shoulder) later,

I was hooked. I now have three, and by luck of getting the first in prime

condition, knew what to look for getting the next two.

Go for all-matching serials-bolt, barrel, buttplate and mag base.

If it's a 91/30, get a hex barreled receiver, if it's an M44, they are

not hard to find in great condition. IMO, it's always worth it to hold out

for a good one.

Your seller should have all the accessories it will ever need free:

Cleaning kit

Cleaning rod

Sling

Bayonet

Ammo pouches

Combo solvent/oil bottle.