mosin nagant - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

An arshin is approximately 28 inches, The average length of a Russian soldier's stride.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #52

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

[QUOTE="jpattersonnh"]

You have to scrub the chamber. Here is the man that is the expert on the Russian Model 1891 through 1959.
How would you recommend scrubbing the chamber and with what

Old 04-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #53
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

If the problem is shellac buildup then denatured alcohol but remove the action from the stock as it will also remove the shellac from your stock.

Most liekly its just cosmoline that wasnt really cleaned well. A 20ga bore mop soaked in hoppes #9 will remove cosmo infestation.

If it is still sticking its shellac buildup from surplus steel cases. Once you clean it a slower rate of fire and not leaving a case in a hot chamber will help reduce buildup.

Mosin bores are not chrome lined.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-24-2012, 05:38 AM   #54

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
If the problem is shellac buildup then denatured alcohol but remove the action from the stock as it will also remove the shellac from your stock.

Most liekly its just cosmoline that wasnt really cleaned well. A 20ga bore mop soaked in hoppes #9 will remove cosmo infestation.

If it is still sticking its shellac buildup from surplus steel cases. Once you clean it a slower rate of fire and not leaving a case in a hot chamber will help reduce buildup.

Mosin bores are not chrome lined.
thank you. I will have to get some number 9. I've never shot surplus i've only shot modern factory ammo. I still don't quite understand why a chrome lined barrel is better than a non chrome lined barrel

Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 PM   #55

Liked 2498 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I've found mounting a section of cleaning rod to a drill motor, and using

any decent degreaser with hot water on a 20gauge swab also helps...

Be sure to clean the bore and barrel, and lubricate it, when you're done.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #56

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 790

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm47nagiont View Post
thank you. I will have to get some number 9. I've never shot surplus i've only shot modern factory ammo. I still don't quite understand why a chrome lined barrel is better than a non chrome lined barrel
Is it new steel cased stuff or brass? My Mosin gets a horrible case a "sticky bolt" If I shoot anything but brass...

Chrome bores are good if you out in a moist environment and cleaning "isnt important" (note the "") It protects your bore from rusting... I read that for some reason (unknown to me) that accuracy suffers from a chrome lined bore...

Old 04-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #57
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm47nagiont View Post
It depends on your criteria. Chrome lining is very difficult to apply in a even coating. Which means it decreases accuracy. The typical proccess leaves high and low spots in the bore and distorts bullet flight. While its actually a very desirable thing for belt fed machine guns as they are more area effect weapons its not for the average soldier's rifle.

Think about it like running an indy car over a dirt road that has seen several seasons of rainstorms with no upkeep to running the same car on a track designed and maintaned for racing purposes.

It offers some advantages in that its very difficult for the heat and pressure of a fired round to eat it away so you get greatly increased barrel life.

In terms of using surplus russian ammo shellac preservative coatings will not stick or transfer itself to chrome lined metal. Chrome is also extremely rust resistant so corrosive primers have nearly zero effect on chromed chambers and bores.

Modern ar15 barrels by some barrel makers have nearly perfected chrome lining techniques and in the higher end ar15 market you get nearly no accuracy loss and all the benefits.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #58

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez

Is it new steel cased stuff or brass? My Mosin gets a horrible case a "sticky bolt" If I shoot anything but brass...
yeah all I shoot is that new steel cased fmj stuff but if I take it out hunting I'll be by in some soft point brass cased ammo

Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #59

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I shoot the cheapest Eastern Block ammo I can buy. I have just short of 40 Mosins, and have never had a "sticky-bolt" problem with any of them. When I get one, I clean it with boiling water (after removing the stock, of course) then I scrub the chamber with a chamber brush (by hand), then clean and oil like I would a Remchester.

If these guns are clean, the head-space is correct, and there is not a piece of broken shell stuck in the bore, they work fine.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 04-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #60

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Question: ive heard that a lot of mosins have "sticky" or "rough" trigger pulls never fired one myself any truth to the statement?