mosin nagant - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Mine is in collectors condition being that it is unissued that said I did not want to shoot corrosive ammo

Old 02-25-2012, 05:37 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

And all serial numbers match

Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 AM   #13

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Or you could get a real/ accurate rifle, no offense.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7813 Times on 4689 Posts
Likes Given: 9825

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
There are many who really like Mosin Nagants.

Everybody has their own opinion and preferences.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #15

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm47nagiont View Post
Mine is in collectors condition being that it is unissued that said I did not want to shoot corrosive ammo
How do you know it was unissued? Matching s/n's are not that uncommon...just curious...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 02-25-2012, 04:32 PM   #16

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmstw View Post
Tell me what is un-real about a Mosin Nagant? As far as accurate, if you get one that has not been shot-out, and most have not, they will generally shoot more accurately than 99% of the folks shooting them. That is accurate enough for me.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #17

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm47nagiont View Post
You certainly may have an unissued rifle, but if your rifle was made prior to 1945 the chances of it being unissued is almost nil. There are some Finn rifles, and some Polish rifles that may have been unissued, but not many, most of them are also dated after 1945 as well, and they are quite pricey in comparison. I would think an unissued 91/30 would be worth a small fortune.

Shooting corrosive ammo is no more harmful than shooting modern ammo, IF you clean your firearm properly.

Matching numbers on reconditioned rifles is the norm. The reason for that is when they were reconditioned, replacement parts were numbered to the barrel shank. Some were stamped matching, some were electro penciled and some used both. While stamped renumbering is more attractive than EPd renumbering, there is not any other difference either functionally or historically.

Rifles that were not reconditioned rarely have all matching numbers. Rifles in combat had heavy wear and damage. When damaged, if salvageable, the rifles were repaired with what ever parts were at hand; usually from another damaged, and unrepairable, rifle. This does not make the rifle less historically accurate either.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 02-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Mine is 1943 it is an ex sniper and it looks to be unissued. I do not see service wear. the only wear it has is what I put on it. if it was issued it was issued when it was a sniper rifle. for the quality and not packed in cosmoleen I got it at an amazing price. It may be arsenal refinished but I think it's unissued I know it was converted from a sniper rifle to a standard issue rifle. when I bought it the guy at the gun store said it was unissued

Old 02-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #19

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I recently acquired a 1943on which all of the metal looks as though it never had a round chambered. The bluing is very even and absolutely perfect. All edges are sharp and crisp. The bore looks unfired and is very shiny. All matching numbers. The butt plate is pristine. It looks as though it was made yesterday. The stock, on the other hand appears to have definately seen battle action. It is laminated with the appropriate nicks and dings and a fine crack on the left side slightly below the the rear of the receiver ahead of the tang. Obviously was rearsenaled. I got it from Dunhams for $79.95. I put the metal on a stock that looks to be unissued or at least in very nice condition. I'm not sure if the switch was a wise move or not but it was obvious the stock that came on it did not match the condition of the metal. I might not ever fire this one.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 02-26-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The blueing on mine is crap because of storage if what you say about yours is truth thin yours is in better condition than mine