Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   mosin nagant (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-58513/)

akm47nagiont 02-22-2012 07:50 PM

mosin nagant

Opinions. what ammo to buy. Should I stock up on ammo

kryptar19 02-22-2012 08:03 PM

Yea stock up on any ammo for it you can find. Its cheap! But before too long the old military surp. will run out. And then you will have to turn to major manufacturers and pay retail.

I used to have one and it shot everything I put in it.

vincent 02-22-2012 09:29 PM

Here ya go...

http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/7.62x54mm

And yes, why not buy a whole herd, at .17c a round you'd be nuts not to...:D

c3shooter 02-22-2012 11:41 PM

Message from an old man-

At one time, there was a bottomless ocean of CHEEP military surplus ammo. 30-06. 8mm Mauser. 7.7 Jap. 6.5 Carcano. .30 carbine. 7.65 Argentine Mauser. .303 Enfield. Cheaper than the box it was shipped in.

Guess what? When a nation STOPS using a cartridge as their military round, they are going to stop rotating off ammo and selling it. I got some of the last of the Greek .303 Enfield. When it is gone, it is gone.

There IS a bottom to that ocean. There are pools of 8mm, 7.62X54R, and 7.62x39. Some of those pools will last longer than others. But they WILL dry up. If I had had the foresight to buy a swimming pool worth of M1 Carbine ammo when it was going for about 3 a round, I could fund buying a Barret with it.

If you wait, you WILL pay more.

vincent 02-23-2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 717338)
Message from an old man-

At one time, there was a bottomless ocean of CHEEP military surplus ammo. 30-06. 8mm Mauser. 7.7 Jap. 6.5 Carcano. .30 carbine. 7.65 Argentine Mauser. .303 Enfield. Cheaper than the box it was shipped in.

Guess what? When a nation STOPS using a cartridge as their military round, they are going to stop rotating off ammo and selling it. I got some of the last of the Greek .303 Enfield. When it is gone, it is gone.

There IS a bottom to that ocean. There are pools of 8mm, 7.62X54R, and 7.62x39. Some of those pools will last longer than others. But they WILL dry up. If I had had the foresight to buy a swimming pool worth of M1 Carbine ammo when it was going for about 3 a round, I could fund buying a Barret with it.

If you wait, you WILL pay more.

Question for the old man...:D How can one tell how deep the pool is? Specifically the 7.62x54r...I'm under the impression it's still in use to some degree for training. People like me are grabbing it up like the "just take one" bowl at Halloween. Trying to improve my hindsight with some foreward thinking, is there really any way to tell?

c3shooter 02-23-2012 03:25 AM

7.62X54R is still used in the former Warsaw Pact PKM medium machine guns, and for their Dragunov sniper rifles. Which means that you can score ammo that is not TOO old, and had a better chance of have been stored in good conditions (unlike the Pakistani .303 Enfield that seems to have been stored in the uncured skin of a goat at the bottom of a bog)

Now, I DO have a call in to my friend Vladmir Putin- I have asked him how long they will keep using this before they drop it in favor of another caliber- but Vlad is out at his dacha with Lyudmila and their dogs, and has not gotten back to me- but I will let you know as soon as he calls......:rolleyes:

Me- I bought a lifetime supply of 8mm and 7.62X54R (and 7.5 Swiss and 7.62x39) a couple of years ago- came into some unexpected money, and decided to buy ammo rather than waste it on food. Paid about 8 a round. 17 is the best price I can find right now to feed my M/Ns. I do not see it getting cheaper.

Ic3man505 02-23-2012 05:04 PM

Would you go with light or heavy grain when buying the excess russ ammo?

c3shooter 02-23-2012 06:46 PM

They are both decent rounds. I got a bunch of the Czech light, and the Russian heavy. Think the Russian has a bit more recoil, Czech shoots a bit flatter.

vincent 02-23-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 717598)
7.62X54R is still used in the former Warsaw Pact PKM medium machine guns, and for their Dragunov sniper rifles. Which means that you can score ammo that is not TOO old, and had a better chance of have been stored in good conditions (unlike the Pakistani .303 Enfield that seems to have been stored in the uncured skin of a goat at the bottom of a bog)

Now, I DO have a call in to my friend Vladmir Putin- I have asked him how long they will keep using this before they drop it in favor of another caliber- but Vlad is out at his dacha with Lyudmila and their dogs, and has not gotten back to me- but I will let you know as soon as he calls......:rolleyes:

Me- I bought a lifetime supply of 8mm and 7.62X54R (and 7.5 Swiss and 7.62x39) a couple of years ago- came into some unexpected money, and decided to buy ammo rather than waste it on food. Paid about 8 a round. 17 is the best price I can find right now to feed my M/Ns. I do not see it getting cheaper.

Okay, thanks C3, I reckon I'll just keep an eye on the prices, should be a decent barometer....

Chainfire 02-23-2012 11:33 PM

When ever I have an extra $160.00 laying around I will order another case of what ever is selling low at the time. I have not been disapointed with any of it yet.
I do shoot a lot more of it than I thought I would. Like C3, I thought I had a lifetime supply with 4 cases. Unless I croak sooner than I would rather, it isn't going to be enough.