mosin nagant - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1212 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 1223

Here is what you need to look for...........

mosin-nagant-family-chart-tree.jpg  

When all else fails.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #32

Liked 1459 Times on 884 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by dteed4094 View Post
My first Mosin was 1939 with a beatup laminated stock, counter bored. I never heard of them at that time but thought it wouldnt have to be much for $99. It came with all the bells and whistles. It had no cosmoline to speak of. The range was on the way home so I bought 4 boxes of ammo of which maker I don't know. First round, stuck bolt. Im thinking,no wonder the Russians needed help. Second round, very sore hand after getting the bolt open. I managed to beat 2 or three more rounds through. I took this piece of crap home and started researching it. I did several of the stuck bolt fixes. Back at the range I managed to coax a 5 MOA group out of it. This could be fun to own a better one. A month later I bought one that is pretty nice and after all the necessary tweaks the best i got out of it was 8 MOA. 5 wasn't so bad. I had already given the first to my Stepson. A year later he hadn't shot it yet and told me a 22 would be more useful to him to teach his boys shooting. I traded an almost new Mossy 702. He was happy and knowing the tricks and secrets of the Mosin it now shoots about 3 MOA . Since then I've bought 4 more but my favorite is the first one. I'm pretty sure there will be more to come. They can be great guns, just ask the Finns.
I have a bait of these rifles in six different flavors (models) . Some of them shoot damn good groups, some of them are all over the target. It is just what you might expect from a 60 year old rifle that fought through at least one world war.

You can bet your bottom dollar that nearly every Mosin Nagant rifle made before 1945 is a war vet. The Soviets were always short of rifles and they usually went directly from Tula or Izhevsk to the front lines.

These rifles are a great bargain; there is no other historic rifle that a working man can build a substantial collection of, and still pay the mortgage.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #33

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I have a bait of these rifles in six different flavors (models) . Some of them shoot damn good groups, some of them are all over the target. It is just what you might expect from a 60 year old rifle that fought through at least one world war.

You can bet your bottom dollar that nearly every Mosin Nagant rifle made before 1945 is a war vet. The Soviets were always short of rifles and they usually went directly from Tula or Izhevsk to the front lines.

These rifles are a great bargain; there is no other historic rifle that a working man can build a substantial collection of, and still pay the mortgage.
QFT...you can get the rifle and 880 rounds of ammo for the price of 50 rounds of .50 BMG or other big bang ammo.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-19-2011, 12:45 AM   #34

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
There are kits which have the wrench, and a cleaning kit tool set for the

Mosin cleaning rod (which comes in handy in a pinch) for @16$.

The Russians at Stalingrad were going into battle against seasoned

Wehrmacht troops with 5 bullets

and a rifle for every other soldier. I must say the Russian

Infantryman sets the standard for courage.
Well when you have the Commisars troops shooting at you from behind, storming a German position without a rifle doesn't seem like a bad idea.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-19-2011, 01:05 AM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5679 Times on 2966 Posts
Likes Given: 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Well when you have the Commisars troops shooting at you from behind, storming a German position without a rifle doesn't seem like a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
There are kits which have the wrench, and a cleaning kit tool set for the

Mosin cleaning rod (which comes in handy in a pinch) for @16$.

The Russians at Stalingrad were going into battle against seasoned

Wehrmacht troops with 5 bullets

and a rifle for every other soldier. I must say the Russian

Infantryman sets the standard for courage.
that is not from any historical record ive heard of. the only source is the movie "enemy at the gates" i could find. along with several speaches given by a russian general in 1915. something along the lnes "if you lose your weapon pick one up from a fallen comrade"

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

There real nice man, enjoy! Word to the wise, don't let the edge of the butt plate hit your collar bone. It may sound a bit dumb, but it's so wide that it's actually pretty easy to let that happen. you'll know it if it does.
Did that about the 6th shot. The gun doesn't have much recoil but you'll feel it on the collarbone

Old 11-21-2011, 02:23 AM   #37

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak

Did that about the 6th shot. The gun doesn't have much recoil but you'll feel it on the collarbone
For about 3 days...