Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   mosin nagant (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-51755/)

g17frantz 11-14-2011 02:37 AM

mosin nagant

Hey guys, I'm in the process of trying to find the right mosin. Knowing that a lot of you are mosin owners, what a I looking for and what's the right price for one?

JonM 11-14-2011 02:44 AM

there are short barrel versions standard version sniper versions.

cheapest ones are the standard versions. aim surplus has all varieties. as does rguns and a few other importers.

UrbanNinja 11-14-2011 02:50 AM

I was at the local gun show yesterday with the intention of buying a mosin myself... I managed to walk out with an SKS instead. But the mosins ranged from $90-120 out the door including a sling,toolkit and bayonet

towboater 11-14-2011 02:55 AM

If there is a Dunhams near ya, they usually have several 91-30s in stock.

Jpyle 11-14-2011 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g17frantz (Post 627094)
Hey guys, I'm in the process of trying to find the right mosin. Knowing that a lot of you are mosin owners, what a I looking for and what's the right price for one?

A common Mosin Nagant 91/30 can cost between $80-$150 or so depending on the Armory mark, Tula vs Izhevsk, bore and stock condition and receiver type, round vs hexagonal.

The Sniper variant will cost a bit more as will the 2 popular Carbine models, M38 or M44.

In all cases matching serial numbers will add some dollars to the price.

Be prepared to work a bit to get your Mosin in range-worthy shape, these rifles have been stored in Cosmoline for decades and a thorough stripping down of all metal parts is needed to get the goo off.

7.62x54r.net

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...A9130SCHEX.jpg

Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62X54R HEX RECEIVER Very Good Condition $139.00 SHIPS FREE

Mosin-Nagant M91/30 7.62X54R Very Good Condition $109.00 SHIPS FREE

wjkuleck 11-14-2011 03:56 AM

It appears no one has mentioned the Finn Mosin-Nagants, e.g., the M39. These are widely considered to be the peak of Mosin development, at least as far as service rifle versions are concerned.

The Finn M-Ns are built up by the Finns on Imperial hex receivers, as a rule, with new barrels, stocks, sights, and in some cases, a tuned trigger.

The M39 is well worth seeking out.

Regards,

Walt

Jpyle 11-14-2011 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjkuleck (Post 627166)
It appears no one has mentioned the Finn Mosin-Nagants, e.g., the M39. These are widely considered to be the peak of Mosin development, at least as far as service rifle versions are concerned.

The Finn M-Ns are built up by the Finns on Imperial hex receivers, as a rule, with new barrels, stocks, sights, and in some cases, a tuned trigger.

The M39 is well worth seeking out.

Regards,

Walt

Thanks Walt...see there is a reason that some make a living authoring articles and books on guns...:D

wjkuleck 11-14-2011 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle (Post 627169)
Thanks Walt...see there is a reason that some make a living authoring articles and books on guns...:D

You're welcome! It ain't all that much of a living, but it does give me the excuse to have a lot of guns!

Back on topic; I've been skinnying down on my Mosins; the Finns (three M39s & an M27) will be the last to go...though that's not likely.

Regards,

Walt

therewolf 11-14-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g17frantz (Post 627094)

And you are looking to collect? A shooter?

Simple 91/30, as shooters, can be had for @ $90 over the net.

Now, if you're looking to collect, you want to try to find a hex

receiver(more accurate and older) and matching SNs.

If you're looking for a carbine, the M44 is the cleanest, cheapest

and easiest you'll find, with nice punch, and insane muzzle blast.

A great truck or Boar gun.

The Finn M39 is arguably better,rarer, and more costly.

There are some very respectable collectibles out there. I

recently found a 1933 Tula Hex with all matching serials.

silverado113 11-14-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by towboater (Post 627109)
If there is a Dunhams near ya, they usually have several 91-30s in stock.

I've seen them for as low as $89.00 at Dunhams but they aren't in the best condition from what I seen at my local Dunhams