Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant

I recently have been very interested in buying a mosin nagant, yet i need a little more information in the country vs. quality department. Ive heard some mosin nagants are better then others, and that hex receivers are better then rounded ones, so if anyone could help me or direct me towards some useful info it would be awesome, thanks. Im interested in trying to make it accurate and functional with minimal cost. Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #2

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Welcome! Go to the Introductions sub-forum and tell us about yourelf and your interest in fire arms when you get a chance.

Unfortunately I am not an expert on the Mosin, but there are some here who are and they will be along soon!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #3

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

If you want an accurate Mosin Nagant, look at a Finnish model. They are very accurate. As for Soviet 91/30's there is no real difference in accuracy between hex and round receivers. There is a difference between pre war and war time rifles. Prior to 1935 you will find both Hex and round receivers. Up until 1940 the fit and finish was better than afterwards, but some wartime manufacture rifles shoot great although they are rough on the outside. Hungarian 91/30's are some of the best, they are marked w/ a 02 on the receiver, but are hard to find and pricey. Hands down, Finnish M39's are the best for accuracy.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Here is some info on the 91/30 for you- Collecting and Shooting the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 - HISTORY

Agree on the Finns- but tend to be pricy if you find one in good shape. There are a crapload of the Russians that have been dumped on the market- CHEEP. Grab one, and stock up on the milsurp ammo while it is still cheap- will not last forever. There aer also a couple of carbine version- the M39 and M44.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Mosin

Howdy EON047
The M-39 I have found to give excellent accuracy. As stated stock up on the surplus ammo while you can. As with any rifle you have to shoot it to see what ammo works best in your rifle. M-39's cost more but ya get what ya pay for. I would pick up a 91/30 too. The history behind the Mosin rifles is fascinating. MC

Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 AM   #6

Thanks guys for all your information. How Much does ammo in bulk usually cost? and how much should I pay for a Finland based model? Ill introduce myself in the appropriate section in a little while. This forum is alot more rapid and knowledgeable then THR. Also a guide on what I should do with these rifles to make them as accurate as possible with original parts? Thanks in advance.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #7

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon047 View Post
Thanks guys for all your information. How Much does ammo in bulk usually cost? and how much should I pay for a Finland based model? Ill introduce myself in the appropriate section in a little while. This forum is alot more rapid and knowledgeable then THR. Also a guide on what I should do with these rifles to make them as accurate as possible with original parts? Thanks in advance.
Surplus ammo is cheap and simple to clean up afterwards. Some guys don't use it since it is corrosive, but a little boiling water takes care of that. I posted a link in this section a few days ago on ammo.
Here is the man w/ the best selection on Finn's. http://www.gunsnammo.com/ His antique rifles are awesome and can be shipped directly to you.

As far as accuracy, shooting it helps. Trigger time!!! It is no target rifle, it is a war horse.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 01-11-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon047 View Post
I paid $100 for 500 bullets of Russian surplus at a gun show this summer.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #9

Awesome price for ammo. Im pretty sure then that ill be some rusty ammo to keep cost of shooting down. Just clean down after shooting and it'll be fine Im guessing. Thanks alot i appreciate the help. The websites helped a bunch, definitely getting this rifle now.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7591 Times on 3304 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Re: Corrosive primed ammo- makes some people stick fingers in ears and yell LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU LALALALALA. I would point out that with the exception of M1 carbine ammo, everything we used in WW 2 was corrosive primed.

All that means is that the primer is based on potasium chlorate- which burns to potasium chloride- first cousin to table salt. To clean a rifle that has shot it, flush with hot water, little dawn dish detergent, more hot water.

I have a vise with padded jaws. Remove bolt, place rifle in vise w/ barrel tpped down at a 45 degree angle. Use cheap small funnel (go buy your own, save fight w/ Significant Other) inserted into chamber. Place 5 gallon bucket on floor under muzzle, pour quart of HOT water thru the bore (EWWW! Look what ran out of the barrel! GROSS!) 2 drops of Dawn on bore brush, scrub bore from breech end, another quart of HOT water down the bore (Double EWWW!) while bore is draining, wipe down the bolt with a damp cloth, oil. In 5 minues, bore should be dry from heat of water. Oily patch thru bore, be sure to wipe down the muzzle down. Elapsed time, 10 minutes.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.