Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12301 View Post
Aw yes, It does appear that since I have a box of 8mm and no rifle that I need a mauser Every cloud has a silver lining.

Just one Mauser

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 08-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #22

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Just one Mauser
Remain calm, and keep breathing.

One Mauser breaks the ice. Then THAT Mauser becomes the "magnet" to the rest of the Mausers. Sort of a "Mauser Collection Starter Kit".

If we let him in on the sickness that is Mausers, he may avoid initial contact. Shhh........

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Last edited by M14sRock; 08-25-2010 at 06:19 PM.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

One Mauser breaks the ice. Then THAT Mauser becomes to "magnet" to the rest of the Mausers. Sort of a "Mauser Collection Starter Kit".

If we let him in on the sickness that is Mausers, he may avoid initial contact. Shhh........
So true so true.. (I'm gonna keep a close eye on this fella though)... hehe

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 08-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

alas, I am already the victim of numerous and varied firearm addictions. right now I am trying to think of a way to avoid having to take a second job in order to support all my "got to haves". Oh well I guess I'm most likely hopeless. Ron

Old 08-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #25

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
If you are looking for the finest Mosin Nagants then the ones built by Remington wins hands down. The fit and finish on them is supurb. Most Mosin Nagants were built in wartime and fit and finish was an unnessasary luxury. The Remington Mosins and for that matter the Remington Berthiers built for France are georgous.
Also the polish M44's are also deadly accurate. I had one that would do 1 inch groups at 100 yards all day. I gave it to my uncle.

Be careful who's toes you step on today....'cause they could be connected to the a** you need to kiss tomorrow.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:14 AM   #26

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post

One Mauser breaks the ice. Then THAT Mauser becomes the "magnet" to the rest of the Mausers. Sort of a "Mauser Collection Starter Kit".

I've sold a few, but the Mausers still rule my safes. 5, 96 actions, 1 small ring '98, 1 large ring 98, 2 intermediate '98. They make me go Ahhhhhhhh.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:24 AM   #27

A little MN story:

A coworker with a large family and struggling with home finances just got into hunting a couple years ago. He borrowed guns, learned to hunt with some of the more experienced guys in the shop, and was successful in filling his freezer. When he was ready to buy a hunting rifle, some large outdoor commercial stores had him looking at $800 pieces. He got quite discouraged thinking his own gun was out of his fiscal ability.

One guy we work with collected a few bucks from all of us, and got the new hunter to go buy a Mosin. With the extra $$, he bought some ammo and cleaning gear.

Last season he took a nice deer with it. As it turns out, he has become quite a hunter. For him the gun offsets the some of the costs of feeding his family. Soon his son will be old enough to hunt too. That's good for us, lots of watercooler debates about what gun junior should use.

Even though the Mosins are inexpensive, there is a huge practicality to them besides scaring the bejesus out of everyone at the range.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:35 AM   #28

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
A little MN story:

A coworker with a large family and struggling with home finances just got into hunting a couple years ago. He borrowed guns, learned to hunt with some of the more experienced guys in the shop, and was successful in filling his freezer. When he was ready to buy a hunting rifle, some large outdoor commercial stores had him looking at $800 pieces. He got quite discouraged thinking his own gun was out of his fiscal ability.

One guy we work with collected a few bucks from all of us, and got the new hunter to go buy a Mosin. With the extra $$, he bought some ammo and cleaning gear.

Last season he took a nice deer with it. As it turns out, he has become quite a hunter. For him the gun offsets the some of the costs of feeding his family. Soon his son will be old enough to hunt too. That's good for us, lots of watercooler debates about what gun junior should use.

Even though the Mosins are inexpensive, there is a huge practicality to them besides scaring the bejesus out of everyone at the range.
So why if the 7.62x545r is under powered by 8x57 or .30-06 standards, why is it so "scary"? It is very similar to .303 Brit. I say ignorance. If I touch off some vintage 8x57 heavy ball, That scares people. 7.62x54r is a real ***** cat. 8x57 heavy ball (196gr) is at 2700fps, the same as 150gr M2 ball. 147gr light ball 8x57 is at 2900fps. Hmmm

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-27-2010, 03:41 AM   #29

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I've sold a few, but the Mausers still rule my safes. 5, 96 actions, 1 small ring '98, 1 large ring 98, 2 intermediate '98. They make me go Ahhhhhhhh.
Mine come and go, too. I do love the Mausers.

I have a couple of Turks left, a beautiful Yugo 24/47, a couple of VZ24's, some FN Sporters in various calibers (.243, 7x57, 8x57) some Flaig's Ace sporterized military rifles (German, Swede, Argentine) in various calibers (8x57, .300WM, .280, 6.5x55, .30-06). Plus the Win M70's, 1917's, etc.

But I will always have at least one MN, as well. Currently it's a very clean M38. Took my son to Big-5 a couple of years ago to buy him a Mauser, but they were out. Got him an all matching, beat to snot M44 with a perfect barrel instead.

LOVE those Mil Surps!!!!

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-27-2010, 04:27 AM   #30

Quote:
So why if the 7.62x545r is under powered by 8x57 or .30-06 standards, why is it so "scary"? It is very similar to .303 Brit. I say ignorance. If I touch off some vintage 8x57 heavy ball, That scares people. 7.62x54r is a real ***** cat. 8x57 heavy ball (196gr) is at 2700fps, the same as 150gr M2 ball. 147gr light ball 8x57 is at 2900fps. Hmmm
I would not consider a 7.64x52 underpowered in all but a very,very few rare occasions. The ones I shot had a Fourth of July muzzle blast. Far more dramatic than the typical hunting and target guns at the range. That is scary part to some folks.

I've not shot any 8mm so I have no measure.

Last edited by bgeddes; 08-27-2010 at 04:29 AM.