mosin nagant - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I 'm going down to the sporting goods store tomorrow and if I can find one that looks like the pics that shihan posted I think I will buy it. you guys talked me into it ! I not exactly a hard sell when it comes to firearms, just love 'em. thanks again for the info.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #12

Default Mosin nagants rock

First off when you star shooting, you'll get everyone's attention such is the boom! out of the 7.62x 54r.

As for accuracy 51 or so inches should mean something. A long barrel and tight groups go together. Furthermore on a standing position at 50 yards good groups are possible, holding my elbows close to the body gives good control over target acquisition.
About the condition, never heard anyone complaint about a shot out barrel as of yet, the crown on those rifles have been reworked

A good addition for the rifle is a scope, I've see this one with s& H is about $150

here which is cheap compared with the real item which is almost $500

A cool enhancement on the iron sights is this one, luminescent sights from glow-on.com really help at indoor ranges check this link on the vendors display in this forum

Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12301 View Post
I 'm going down to the sporting goods store tomorrow and if I can find one that looks like the pics that shihan posted I think I will buy it. you guys talked me into it ! I not exactly a hard sell when it comes to firearms, just love 'em. thanks again for the info.
At $90, I'd go ahead and get two.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Well, I'm now the proud owner of a mosin nagant m91. I had just got the cosmoline cleaned off and went to fire the rifle, it was then I discovered that the man behind the counter gave me a box of 8mm instead of 7.62x54r. so I'll have to wait another day or so before I can actually fire the rifle. For less than $100 I don't think I can go wrong. The bore on the rifle looked in good shape and the barrel appears to have been recrowned. I am anxious to see what it will do at the range. Thanks to all for the info and advice, Ron

Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$100 for a rifle, $90 for 440 rounds you can't get any more fun for your money than that.

The truth will set you free, but first it's going to piss you off.

"Time to nut up or shut up." - Tallahassee

"Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid." - The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddn View Post
I'm a man, I see it as my obligation to like guns. And they are just so fun.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I would buy that, no second thought needed. Only problem is they multiply quickly.
The 91 is over 100 years old and shoots fantastic.
AMEN!!!

I bought one last November and before I knew it, I had 10.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9165 Times on 3958 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Here is a good starting point for you: Collecting and Shooting the Mosin-Nagant 1891/30 - HISTORY

Read the article on "Sticky Bolt Syndome"- or carry a chunk of 2x4 to pound on the bolt.

Milsurp ammo is cheap (for now- will not last forever) but corrosive primed. Not a problem- after shooting, wash out the bore with hot soapy water, rinse, dry.

Kicks like a sonofagun. Get a slip on recoil pad.

Fun shooter for the price. One of the few real bargains left in the gun world. Bear in mind that a decent .22 rifle will cost you more than a 91/30, or a M38, or M44.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

If you are looking for the finest Mosin Nagants then the ones built by Remington wins hands down. The fit and finish on them is supurb. Most Mosin Nagants were built in wartime and fit and finish was an unnessasary luxury. The Remington Mosins and for that matter the Remington Berthiers built for France are georgous.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron12301 View Post
Well, I'm now the proud owner of a mosin nagant m91. I had just got the cosmoline cleaned off and went to fire the rifle, it was then I discovered that the man behind the counter gave me a box of 8mm instead of 7.62x54r. so I'll have to wait another day or so before I can actually fire the rifle. For less than $100 I don't think I can go wrong. The bore on the rifle looked in good shape and the barrel appears to have been recrowned. I am anxious to see what it will do at the range. Thanks to all for the info and advice, Ron
And now you have an excuse to buy a Mauser! Lucky dog......

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #20

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Aw yes, It does appear that since I have a box of 8mm and no rifle that I need a mauser Every cloud has a silver lining.