Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default mosin nagant

Hello again, I have been reading about the mosin nagant rifles. Can someone enlighten me on mosin ? I am wondering what are the best ones (country of origin, or does it matter?), what to look for? what to expect, condition etc.? are they even worth the $90 a local store wants for a m91 ? Can they be improved ? Just looking for something to horse around with. any info you can give me will be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Solid, accurate, crude. Gotta have at least one MM.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #3

Liked 1654 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 1113

Incredible rifle when you consider the cost. I bought one at Cabelas for $100. I went to the range and was able to hit a steel plate at 500 yards. I shot at the plate four times. I hit it twice. Other people stopped shooting and walked over to talk to me. When they found out it was only $100 they were shocked.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #4

I suggest taking a look at some of the sites out there that have a wealth of information. This is a good one: 7.62x54r.net

The basic gist is that there are two "countries" that you can find rifles from - Russia and Finland. The Finnish mosin nagants are actually Russian rifles that have been arsenal re-worked to higher standards, so they are more accurate and thus more expensive.

You will find two receiver types, round and hexagonal - some price Hex receivers higher than round (they were usually produced earlier than the round receivers). This is because the rifles produced during wartime (round receiver) may have been rushed through production, resulting in lower quality.

Ammunition is cheap- $80 to $100 for 440 rounds of corrosive surplus ammunition.

You could take the rifle and try to do all sorts of things to it to "improve" it, but like those that posted above said it kind of is what it is. It's plenty accurate for most shooters, it can take a huge beating and you won't care, and it is fun to have something so cheap that goes big boom.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM   #5

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Damn fine rifle for the $$

Old 08-23-2010, 09:06 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

So, the one I saw for $90 is in all probability a "Russian" version. Should I be at all concerned about the barrel being shot out ?

Old 08-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #7

It is unlikely that the barrel has been shot out. Certainly take a look at it in the store with a borelight (or use a small flashlight), but it will likely be full of crud or cosmoline. Some of the rifles have been counter-bored, which will look like a section at the muzzle has been "drilled out". All that means is that it at one point had been damaged to the point of affecting accuracy, and somebody made the call to remove some material and give it a new crown so that it was accurate again.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

I would buy that, no second thought needed. Only problem is they multiply quickly.
The 91 is over 100 years old and shoots fantastic.

135.jpg  

Old 08-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #9

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks folks for the good info, pics, and advice. I am going to check out the link. sounds like I can have a lot of fun with this rifle and not worry about it taking a beating and getting scratched etc. I need something like this... at least that is what I'll tell my wife.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:43 PM   #10

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Buy it, you will not be disappointed. $90 is a steal these days. I got mine a few years ago for about $70, but they are hard to find anywhere near me cheaper than $150 now. I would like to add an M44 when the prices come down...

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"