Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   mosin nagant (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-nagant-30751/)

ron12301 08-22-2010 09:30 PM

mosin nagant

Hello again, I have been reading about the mosin nagant rifles. Can someone enlighten me on mosin ? I am wondering what are the best ones (country of origin, or does it matter?), what to look for? what to expect, condition etc.? are they even worth the $90 a local store wants for a m91 ? Can they be improved ? Just looking for something to horse around with. any info you can give me will be appreciated.

M14sRock 08-22-2010 09:37 PM

Solid, accurate, crude. Gotta have at least one MM.

Rick1967 08-22-2010 09:49 PM

Incredible rifle when you consider the cost. I bought one at Cabelas for $100. I went to the range and was able to hit a steel plate at 500 yards. I shot at the plate four times. I hit it twice. Other people stopped shooting and walked over to talk to me. When they found out it was only $100 they were shocked.

GrumpyPine 08-23-2010 08:20 PM

I suggest taking a look at some of the sites out there that have a wealth of information. This is a good one: 7.62x54r.net

The basic gist is that there are two "countries" that you can find rifles from - Russia and Finland. The Finnish mosin nagants are actually Russian rifles that have been arsenal re-worked to higher standards, so they are more accurate and thus more expensive.

You will find two receiver types, round and hexagonal - some price Hex receivers higher than round (they were usually produced earlier than the round receivers). This is because the rifles produced during wartime (round receiver) may have been rushed through production, resulting in lower quality.

Ammunition is cheap- $80 to $100 for 440 rounds of corrosive surplus ammunition.

You could take the rifle and try to do all sorts of things to it to "improve" it, but like those that posted above said it kind of is what it is. It's plenty accurate for most shooters, it can take a huge beating and you won't care, and it is fun to have something so cheap that goes big boom.

NitroxAZ 08-23-2010 08:22 PM

Damn fine rifle for the $$

ron12301 08-23-2010 09:06 PM

So, the one I saw for $90 is in all probability a "Russian" version. Should I be at all concerned about the barrel being shot out ?

GrumpyPine 08-23-2010 09:19 PM

It is unlikely that the barrel has been shot out. Certainly take a look at it in the store with a borelight (or use a small flashlight), but it will likely be full of crud or cosmoline. Some of the rifles have been counter-bored, which will look like a section at the muzzle has been "drilled out". All that means is that it at one point had been damaged to the point of affecting accuracy, and somebody made the call to remove some material and give it a new crown so that it was accurate again.

Shihan 08-23-2010 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would buy that, no second thought needed. Only problem is they multiply quickly.
The 91 is over 100 years old and shoots fantastic.

ron12301 08-23-2010 09:40 PM

Thanks folks for the good info, pics, and advice. I am going to check out the link. sounds like I can have a lot of fun with this rifle and not worry about it taking a beating and getting scratched etc. I need something like this... at least that is what I'll tell my wife.

gregs887 08-23-2010 10:43 PM

Buy it, you will not be disappointed. $90 is a steal these days. I got mine a few years ago for about $70, but they are hard to find anywhere near me cheaper than $150 now. I would like to add an M44 when the prices come down...