Mosin nagant 1891/30 vs m44
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin nagant 1891/30 vs m44

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Mosin nagant 1891/30 vs m44

I want a Mosin nagant and have pinned my choices to these two.
As far as I see it:

M44: Carbine size makes it easier to maneuver great in hunting but limits range a bit. It has worse recoil. Bayonet makes the barrel heat unevenly making the bullet "bounce" in the barrel reducing accuracy.

1891/30: Can make a great sniper rifle because of longer range. Longer barrel makes it harder to maneuver. Hard but not as bad recoil,making it a better range riffle. Detachable bayonet makes barrel heating even having good accuracy.

I still have not made a choice which one to get.

Note:I am looking for a cheap practical rifle not for historical value since I will mod the rifle.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6659 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxil View Post
I want a Mosin nagant and have pinned my choices to these two.
As far as I see it:

M44: Carbine size makes it easier to maneuver great in hunting but limits range a bit. It has worse recoil. Bayonet makes the barrel heat unevenly making the bullet "bounce" in the barrel reducing accuracy.

1891/30: Can make a great sniper rifle because of longer range. Longer barrel makes it harder to maneuver. Hard but not as bad recoil,making it a better range riffle. Detachable bayonet makes barrel heating even having good accuracy.

I still have not made a choice which one to get.

Note:I am looking for a cheap practical rifle not for historical value since I will mod the rifle.
not sure where you are getting the uneven heating thing and bullet bouncing in the barrel. neither of this is true.

you may be confusing barrel harmonics.

barrel length has very little to do with effective range.

the issue with the m44 is the vast majority have very cruddy barrels the majority of 91/30 have new or like new barrels. so if you go with a m44 be sure you take someone with you that knows how to judge a rifle barrel do not buy one sight unseen.

there are a lot of chinese version do not get one of those
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
303tom Likes This 
Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
not sure where you are getting the uneven heating thing and bullet bouncing in the barrel. neither of this is true.

you may be confusing barrel harmonics.

barrel length has very little to do with effective range.

the issue with the m44 is the vast majority have very cruddy barrels the majority of 91/30 have new or like new barrels. so if you go with a m44 be sure you take someone with you that knows how to judge a rifle barrel do not buy one sight unseen.

there are a lot of chinese version do not get one of those
So its more of a barreling issue. I will keep that in mind.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:30 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 789

ive had both. i sold the 91/30. it was fun but the added weight and length made it tricky to clean. i will not get rid of my m44. its so fun to play with. i havent shot it at more than 100yrds but still hits an 8 inch plate..
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxil View Post
So its more of a barreling issue. I will keep that in mind.
most of the 91/30 we see were run through a russian arsenal rebuilt to like new dipped in cosmoline and put into storage after ww2.

most of the m44 were taken out of service and just cosmo'd and eventually sent over here. by the time the m44 fell out of favour the russians had pretty much decided they were never going to need bolt guns again so they did not spend the resources to rearsenal. the few that did get redone were redone with cut down 91/30 barrels and those are the ones you want.

that being said the m44 is a minute of deer all year long and prefers 180 grain bullets as does the 91/30

most of the surplus ammo folks shoot is 147-150 grain machine gun ammo not suited for the 91/30 or m44

using winchester white box 180 all 3 of my 91/30 are about 1.5-2 moa sometimes moa. my m44 which is one of the shoddy barreled ones does about 2.5-3 moa. double those values using the cheap corrosive surplus

ive used my 91/30 pu sniper on deer and yotes and it serves just fine as a hunting rifle. yeah its long but its very doable
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-15-2014 at 01:36 AM.
thdrduck Likes This 
Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 AM   #6

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I really don't find the 91/30 any harder to carry than my hunting rifles. In fact, it is easier to carry than a hunting rifle. I feel no guilt when I use the 91/30 to smash down brush or knock down spider webs. I have no shortage of lacquer or black rustoleum.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:51 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I really don't find the 91/30 any harder to carry than my hunting rifles. In fact, it is easier to carry than a hunting rifle. I feel no guilt when I use the 91/30 to smash down brush or knock down spider webs. I have no shortage of lacquer or black rustoleum.
i used one of mine to pry a 4 wheeler out of a mudhole once... it just needed that extra forward shove to break free. wiped off stock on some grass and shot a javelina about 40 minutes later

i never would have done that with my scar17

People Like This 
Old 07-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Hello,

Just an FYI: If the M44 has the bayonet attached, it's actually a couple ounces heavier than a standard 91/30. The bayonet and lug add a lot of weight.

I have a bayonet lug, no bayonet, sitting here in the shop and it's around one to 1.5lbs.

The 91/30 is longer, and that is a strength in my view. I had to get used to it, but after owning a Kentucky Long Rifle clone for a while before giving it to my brother and new sister-in-law for their wedding, the 91/30 just didn't seem that long anymore!

Remember, the M44 was primarily a defensive weapon for tank crew, heavy gunners, etc, playing the same role for them as our M1 Carbine was intended to play for us. Soviet logistics dictated the same ammo for all long arms and simplicity of manufacture in post-war USSR demanded an arm they were already familiar with as R&D resources were going to the SKS-45 and AK-47.

I have not found the 91/30 to be a burden in any but the thickest vegetation, and even in thick vegetation, the M44 tends to get the bayonet hooked, even when folded.

Just some thoughts.

Regards,

Josh
Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me

Old 07-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #9

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

that being said the m44 is a minute of deer all year long and prefers 180 grain bullets as does the 91/30

Could you explain this to me? I've always thought lighter ammo is better in shorter barrels.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICleanBrassWithJager View Post
Could you explain this to me? I've always thought lighter ammo is better in shorter barrels.
The Mosin-Nagant was originally designed for a 212-grain bullet.

It therefore has a 1:9.5" twist.

The optimal bullet weight for this twist is 174 grain to about 200 grain.

Regards,

Josh
Is it better to live by a corrupt society's standards rather than face persecution for not doing the same? This is the dilemma we now face. We must hold fast to our convictions as we confront this dilemma. Knowing one's self goes a long way in the crisis. - Me