Mosin Nagant - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mosin Nagants

Have 10 or 11 MN's: M38 x 1, M91/30 x3, M44 x2, M91/59 x3 and 2 Finn M39's. One thing that is very clear is that the barrel makes a huge difference. The 2 Finns have Tikka barrels and hitting the 18" gong at 500 meters 50% or more of shots is quite feasible despite my 60 year old eyes. None of the Russians have a prayer of doing that in my hands. None the less five inch groups are quite practical at 100 meters if the bore is in decent shape and has been cleaned. I mean really cleaned... like hours of powder, lead and copper solvent applications. Fortunately, I have 3 sons and some nephews who are eager to shoot and understand the price of using my rifles and ammo. Which leads to my question. Per a complaint from a nephew, I am curious about anyone's experience with so called electric bore cleaning systems.

Corpsman

Old 06-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #12

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laufer View Post
7.62 Man:

'Roger that'. The bottom photo is the same is with mine.
Though I've had the one MN 44 since last August, maybe some extra nitro solvent in the bore followed by lots of drying could help?
A buddy of mine told me that back boring these gun does fix the problem.
I checked his M38 it has been back bored about 2" but still shoots good.
I don't know how much this cost but it could be cheaper than buying a new gun.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 Man View Post
A buddy of mine told me that back boring these gun does fix the problem.
I checked his M38 it has been back bored about 2" but still shoots good.
I don't know how much this cost but it could be cheaper than buying a new gun.
When you say Back boring are you talking of reaming the chamber then re-headspacing the rifle?

Old 06-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 37

No, I think the proper term is counter boring. It's done at the end of the muzzle. It looks like they bored it to a larger size to remove the bad rifling without shorting the barrel.
The only thing I know is his gun shoots good and my gun doesn't & this counter bore is the only diferance.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #15

Quote:
No, I think the proper term is counter boring. It's done at the end of the muzzle. It looks like they bored it to a larger size to remove the bad rifling without shorting the barrel.
The only thing I know is his gun shoots good and my gun doesn't & this counter bore is the only diferance.
Is it like recrowning to remove damage?
My M44 has a 3/4 inch to an inch rescess from the tip of the barrel.
My guess is this was done so the bayonet will still work.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:17 PM   #16

Likes Given: 2

Using the bayonet might help, they were originally sighted in with it on (more so with 91/30's). My guess is the barrel is shot if its that bad that close up, Try the bullet test and if it is worn out sell it to your local gun shop and pick up another one, that the beauty of Mosin's, they are dirt cheap. You might also check for any damage to the front sight, sometimes they get bent up the way they are handled through the surplus market , then somebody bends them back to what they think is the right place. But if it has a front sight hood its probably fine in that regard.

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 06-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #17

Years of overly zealous cleaning by Boris grinds the muzzles out of round. This allows the gasses to escape unevenly around the base of the bullet when it leaves the muzzle. Counter boring up to 1 1/2 inches allows the muzzle to crown evenly and brings everything back into workable tolerances. Even if counter-bored, it may not be in far enough. Then there are other issues possible, like even a bent barrel, which doesn't always show up.
Tom

Old 06-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #18

7.62:

Well, your bottom photo depicts the muzzle on the rifle which Mike tried out at 50 yards. The bayonet was extended for several shots.
Would it hurt, just once, to clean about three times really well at one sitting with nitro solvent?

After shooting on average about 20-30 rounds, then at home cleaning the corrosion with Windex and wet patches/drying, I only use about one or two patches of Hoppe's #9.

Last edited by Laufer; 06-13-2009 at 07:13 AM.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Do a bullet check on your Mosin like this;
GOOD

The Mosin above is a Polish circle 11, it shoots great (just like all of my airsoft sniper rifles heh heh). I have shot 18in. gongs at 400yds. (after a few shots to find the target) it can shoot farther than I can see.
Or BAD

The bottom Mosin (Hungarian marked 02) has a bad barrel the tip of the bullet goes all the way in to the case. It was a cheap buy I picked up it is fun to shoot, but the only way it will hit anything is with heavy ball ammo some thing with a dia. of .311 or larger. Then it is only good to about 75yds. hitting about a 9 to 10 in. circle.
I tried the light ammo and I could not hit the back stop.

And Rex is right you need the bayonet attached, mine doesn't need to be out to shoot but without it my Mosin's shoot all over the place. I think it has to do with the vibration of the barrel.
Here is a good link for picking out what ammo to buy for a sick gun. Check the ammo's dia. and find some large enough to grab the rifling.
7.62x54r Ammunition Evaluations
Click on DATA to find the dia. & a picture of the package it comes in.

Thats a really good idea on how to check the barrel. I never would have thought of that in a million years, so thank you very much!

By the way, can you check the barrel of other types of guns in this same manner, to see if they have a bad barrel???

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2009, 05:21 AM   #20

Default Thanks everyone

I think a good cleaning is due. I give everything a quick pass with a wet patch after every shoot, but I didn't give the Mosin a thorough cleaning when I got it--stupid, I know, but the guy I bought it from takes good care of his guns.
I'm going shooting next weekend and I have 80 rounds of Russian military surplus ammo to waste before buying any more.

I had the rear sight set at its lowest point. I figured at 25 yards, sights are overkill anyway. I think I'll make a chart and shoot 80 rounds at one notch intervals.

On a semi-related note, I'm basically a self-taught shooter. Could someone direct me to a good basic book or website of marksmanship basics (terminology, etc.)? I don't really understand minutes or windage.

Only the government should have weapons as long as we don't forget who the government is in a democracy.