Mosin Nagant
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Nagant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin Nagant

I picked up a Mosin Nagant M44 and a Mossberg .22 a few years ago and I just got around to shooting the M44 last summer. I'm not a crack shot by any count (I'm mainly a handgunner), but I couldn't hit paper from 25 yards. I shot fine with the .22 so it's not my eyes or my hands.

I know nothing about the sights and I was hoping to figure them out once I got some holes for reference. Someone at the range told me that the M44s were sighted with the bayonet out so I tried that with no improvement (It's a novelty gun, so the bayonet stays.)

I know Russian rifles aren't known for their precision, but is there something obvious I'm missing (besides the broad side of a barn)?

Only the government should have weapons as long as we don't forget who the government is in a democracy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #2

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Check the position of your rear sight, if it's slid up to far it could be causing you to miss your target. Are your misses consistent or are they all over the paper? Sometimes a rifle would benefit from a good cleaning.

Of course, you might just need some practice, fortunately the Mosin-Nagant is farely inexpensive to shoot so practice won't smoke your wallet.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 05-16-2009, 06:11 AM   #3

Lefty;

A friend (co-worker) is a bonafide marksman, and was on a military rifle team for years.

I finally had a chance for Mike to test one of my common Russian MN 44s at a range.
The target is the black plastic peel-off type, and Mike had my rifle on his small bean bags at 50 yards.

Out of the ten or so rounds, all Bulgarian HB, he never found holes for two of them, and the rest were really scattered, maybe two near the bull's eye.
I'm too new to guns to know what the problem really is (though I'm 53), but various people on these websites suggest 'bedding' the rifle, which I've only read about.
Others claim that even limited corrosion might be a curse (this bore is fairly shiny), or just a worn crown.
But even with hot barrels, both my Mini 30 and SKS are much better, along with the LE 'Jungle Carbine'.

Among other places, you can get some good ideas from the experienced MN shooters at "Gunandgame".

Last edited by Laufer; 05-16-2009 at 06:14 AM.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Make sure the rear sight is in the right position, then clean the heck out of the barrel. Mosins have spent their existence shooting corrosive ammunition and their barrels can be a real mess.

With any luck, the barrel will clean up well enough to get you minute of zombie at 100 yards. A group of up to six inches or so is not uncommon. If it does better, that's more of an exception rather than the rule. Four inches is excellent.

Remember, it's an old battle rifle that was designed to be used by peasants under all types of conditions. Mosins are incredibly strong and dependable, but they aren't necessarily tack drivers.

Ammunition will make a big difference as well. In my M38 and 91/59, Yugoslavian heavy ball produced excellent groups, but they also produced one heck of a kick. Try out some different weights of ammunition too. I believe that Polish ammo is supposed to be pretty good as well.

You may want to pick up a box or two of commercial ammunition to see what that does as well. Winchester shot incredibly well and accurately.

If none of that does the job, sell it and buy another one, they're cheap enough to buy and sell regularly. If worse comes to worst, you can extend the bayonet and use it as a garden stake.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 05-16-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9551 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

At 25 yards, you will be shooting REALLY high. I think the lowest sight setting is 100 yards. As the guys said, clean the bore (and chamber) check the rear sight position. Many of these have bad rifling at the muzzle, and accuracy goes in the toilet. and get a really big target until you find out where it is shooting. Seriously, get a 3'x3' sheet of cardboard.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #6

All good adivce,for more try mosinnagant.net .
Surplusrifle.com also has some good info.

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #7

Liked 117 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default M44 and the bayonet

M44's should have a bayonet attached!!
By removing the bayonet it throws off the sights considerbly, also the type ammo used makes a big difference verticaly at 100yds a 140gr steel core milsurp ammo shoots 10 inches high in my scoped Mosin P-27 and useing 205gr heavy soft point is dead on! the carbines with bayonets were enginerred to be fired with the bayonet installed and extended!
I think it best to check out the data on battle sight settings as (Russia) dident zero there weapons at 100yds so if you tried to zero (POA) at 100 yds you are going to be waaaaay off with a missing bayonet!

Milsurprifle.com is a good place to check also Gunboards.com as well
there should be links that directly will be able to help you with sight work.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:36 AM   #8

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Do a bullet check on your Mosin like this;
GOOD

The Mosin above is a Polish circle 11, it shoots great. I have shot 18in. gongs at 400yds. (after a few shots to find the target) it can shoot farther than I can see.
Or BAD

The bottom Mosin (Hungarian marked 02) has a bad barrel the tip of the bullet goes all the way in to the case. It was a cheap buy I picked up it is fun to shoot, but the only way it will hit anything is with heavy ball ammo some thing with a dia. of .311 or larger. Then it is only good to about 75yds. hitting about a 9 to 10 in. circle.
I tried the light ammo and I could not hit the back stop.

And Rex is right you need the bayonet attached, mine doesn't need to be out to shoot but without it my Mosin's shoot all over the place. I think it has to do with the vibration of the barrel.
Here is a good link for picking out what ammo to buy for a sick gun. Check the ammo's dia. and find some large enough to grab the rifling.
7.62x54r Ammunition Evaluations
Click on DATA to find the dia. & a picture of the package it comes in.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Ditto on the rear sight and the bayonet. Give it a thorough cleaning and you should be good to go. My M91 had a crap ton of cosmoline all over it that took a while to clean. night and day difference.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 05-31-2009, 06:02 AM   #10

7.62 Man:

'Roger that'. The bottom photo is the same is with mine.
Though I've had the one MN 44 since last August, maybe some extra nitro solvent in the bore followed by lots of drying could help?