Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   mosin help (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/mosin-help-60466/)

gunnovice09 03-18-2012 12:58 AM

mosin help

I got a mosin and have only got to shoot it a couple times cuz everytime I shoot it on the first round the casing gets stuck in the chamber and the bolt wont pull back. I have to tap the bold with a plastic mallet. After examining the casing ull see scrape marks on it like there is a bur in the chamber. Any ideas on what it is or how to fix? Thanks guys

Swashpl8 03-18-2012 01:11 AM

i had the same issue , as well as many other people.... there are numerous good write ups on the web out there just google....what seemed to work for me was getting a 12 gauge bore brush and cleaning out the chamber very well.

canebrake 03-18-2012 01:12 AM

Is the barrel clean? Good rifling?

Does the round chamber easy?

Can you eject an unspent round? Does it have the scratches?

Have you tried different (age/country of origin) surplus ammo?

Have a smith look at it.

gunnovice09 03-18-2012 01:14 AM

Its clean and the casings have scrapes on them.

vincent 03-18-2012 01:16 AM

Here's a pretty cool site, may lead you to a good answer...

http://7.62x54r.net/

The cosmoline can gum up everything if you don't clean it well and "sticky bolt syndrome" is a Mosin mainstay. What kind of ammo are you using? Some of the coated stuff can cause problems but the brass cased mil-surp stuff seems to be relatively harmless...'cepn fer the corrsiveness...

gunnovice09 03-18-2012 01:21 AM

In all honesty Vince I'm not sure Cu's its just so surplus ammo I picked up at dunhams. I haven't shot it in about 6 months cuz I'm in the military so it isn't with me:(

JonM 03-18-2012 01:37 AM

if you get a sticky case put the bolt in the open position and drop the cleaning rod down the bore while applying pressure opening the bolt. dont beat the handle to open you can break the extractor easily doing that.

mosins do not have chrome lined chambers and post war 7.62x54r surplus is designed to be used in chrome lined chambers. heating the chamber and letting the lacquered steel cases sit in the chamber will coat the chamber in lacquer residue.

to clean a suspected chamber of the lacquer residue use 20ga mop and denatured alcohol. swab the chamber then use patches to wipe the residue out. conversly you can use denatured alcohol to clean unfired steel rounds your going to shoot immediately. the purpose of the lacquer is to prevent rust. copper washed steel cases are not lacquered coated but have a thin copper layer to prevent rust instead of lacquer

if it still sticks you prolly have a chamber burr but try cleaning it first.

last resort if it is still sticking your going to need to remove the burr. however this can cause a dangerous situation if you start willy nilly removing chamber material. too much metal gone means gasses blowback around the case and the bolt and into your face. the easy way is take 20ga bronze brush an old cleaning rod section and chuck it into a variable speed drill and spin it at slow speed for a bit. clean the chamber out and try shooting again. repeat until burr is gone.

that may take some time.

warning
getting denatured alcohol on a mosin stock will instantly remove the lacquer finish. it will bubble it up into a sticky gummy substance do NOT get it on your stock unless you intend to refinish it

canebrake 03-18-2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnovice09 (Post 743634)
Its clean and the casings have scrapes on them.

Bet it's a burr.

gunnovice09 03-18-2012 01:45 AM

Thanks for the tips guys! Ill def have to try the suggestions next time I'm home

robertusa123 10-08-2012 06:31 PM

when i cleaned the reciver i attached the cleaning rod to a drill luckey replacment brushes are cheep i also diped the brush in salvent then by dips in oil more or less polished the reciver bolts smooth as silk know i still get groves scrached in caseing but thats from the magizein springs and guides