Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Bayonet won't fit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I sandpapered the heck out of the bayonet now it stays on snug but can come of with needing anything other that a bit of elbow grease.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #12

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Just as long as the bayonet fits in its sheath, that's the more important thing in the case of a complete Mosin stand of arms. Does yours?
I detect a note of sarcasm here... Please post a pic of this sheath of which you speak.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-06-2013, 01:58 PM   #13

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I can't get to it at the moment... It's under the radiator of my Corvair.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #14

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Had the same problem with one of my 91/30's, but not the other...

One bayo went on and off snugly but easily, the other...notsomuch...

IIRC the bayo has a coat of cheap paint, I found that removing the paint from inside of the collar with a dremel worked okay...

Pretty sure the bayo's weren't designed to be taken on and off like we like to do so I'm sure that has something to do with it...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #15

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Emory board. Or if it is really bad, dremel. On the Bayonet that is.
What he said ^
Wrap Emory cloth around a dowel, twist and slide in and out of the bayonet until it fits. I promise it won't take much to get it to work.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #16

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

It is not an unusual problem, and the above solutions work.

When these rifles were crated in the Soviet Union, they were packed with matching number bayonets. So far, on the rifles I have with matching serials, the bayonets fit fine. The American retailers did not see any value in matching the rifles with the bayonets when they were sold. The exception is a very few sellers who did take the effort and chaged about a $20.00 premium for the service. I figured that the premium would pay off in the future when few Mosin-Nagants with matching bayonets were unusual. (unless matched by bubba)

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #17
tips his hat...
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2126 Times on 1332 Posts
Likes Given: 2145

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

What he said ^
Wrap Emory cloth around a dowel, twist and slide in and out of the bayonet until it fits. I promise it won't take much to get it to work.
I think I'll try that, I'm afraid a dremel might take off to much. I want it to fit snug but right now I'd have to use a hammer and a punch with the rifle in a vise to get it on there. I take it quite a few of these bayonets have this problem?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #18

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post

I think I'll try that, I'm afraid a dremel might take off to much. I want it to fit snug but right now I'd have to use a hammer and a punch with the rifle in a vise to get it on there. I take it quite a few of these bayonets have this problem?
Yeah, it's pretty common.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #19

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 13

IIRC the MN was never issue with a scabbard but was carried mounted on the rifle and the rifle was sighted in with the bayonet attached. It is very common for the refurbs to come with bayonets that are to tight to be mounted on the rifle. I have seen at least a half a dozen in my shooting circle with the same problem. I have one that came with a 1923 refurb serial numbered to the rifle and is to tight to mount on the rifle. I just turn it down ward and let it hang on the riffle barrel in the rifle rack.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #20

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I just open it up a little with a tapered punch. No metal removed, I you go too much just close it back up in the vise. Very easy.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill