Mosin Accuracy - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin Accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Ive never shot one of my mosin's for groups. I do know that some shoot better than others. I killed a huge doe with a M-44 Russian made at 200+ yards. Im of the opinion that if you spend plenty of time shooting and getting to know your rifle you can be proficient with it.

Mosin Nagant's come in many different levels of use. Some have been nearly shot out and some have hardly been shot at all. That has a bearing on how well it shoots when we get them. Shooter's skill and ammunition are important things to consider when you are trying to determine the accuracy of a mosin.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #12

Liked 2401 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Compared to a Remington 700 they suck.

Different animals. The consistency of quality s nowhere near the same. The actions rigidity of design is not the same, smoothness of bolt, crispness of trigger, ease of mounting optics, choice of calibers, quality and consistency of ammo...

There are the cold hard facts. A Mosin was a decent battle tool for its day. Today it is a nice collector piece that is fun to shoot, not to expensive to buy or feed. But if you are looking for the equivalent to a modern bolt action sporting rifle, then they really are not fair to compare.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
Compared to a Remington 700 they suck.

Different animals. The consistency of quality s nowhere near the same. The actions rigidity of design is not the same, smoothness of bolt, crispness of trigger, ease of mounting optics, choice of calibers, quality and consistency of ammo...

There are the cold hard facts. A Mosin was a decent battle tool for its day. Today it is a nice collector piece that is fun to shoot, not to expensive to buy or feed. But if you are looking for the equivalent to a modern bolt action sporting rifle, then they really are not fair to compare.
It depends on what your using your bolt action for. If your wanting to shoot tight groups, then the Mosin is not for you. If you want a gun that is accurate enough to hunt with, then a decent Mosin won't have a problem unless you try to shoot a very long distance.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #14

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I shoot milk jugs at 200 yards with mine. Best gun for under 150$ IMO

Old 05-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #15

Liked 1624 Times on 871 Posts
Likes Given: 2638

I get ~2" groups at 100yds with my Nugget. Not bad for a "re-arsenal" rifle made in 1934.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #16

Liked 2401 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
It depends on what your using your bolt action for. If your wanting to shoot tight groups, then the Mosin is not for you. If you want a gun that is accurate enough to hunt with, then a decent Mosin won't have a problem unless you try to shoot a very long distance.
I was basing my answer off his follow on post asking how a Mosin compares to a Remington 700.

The problem I see is that there is not the consistency. I had a Finn Mosin that would shoot close to 1" groups at 100 yds with some quality ( expensive) ammo. And I have had a couple other Mosins that carried from excellent condition with excellent bores to really rough bores that were capable if hunting sized groups of 4-8 inches out to 200 yds. But those took really careful shooting and trying lots of different ammo to find the best grouping potential.

For rifle to rifle consistency, the comparison to a Remington 700, Winchester model 70, Savage 110 really are unfair. I've shot multiple examples of each, and from rifle to rifle, they were far more likely to produce better accuracy.

The Finn Mosin was maybe 1 rifle out if ten was capable of close to 1" groups.

A group of 10 of the modern hunting rifles were all capable of 1" groups or less.
Plus they operated smoother, had better triggers, were generally handier in size and weight, and had better safety designs.

What the Mosin has going for it is quantity, history and price right now. If Enfields and Mausers were as available at the same price, and ammo availability they would each be selling better than the Mosin Nagant.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #17

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

IME, the cold shot can be insanely accurate.

I've never been able to shoot tight groups,

but I'm only using iron sights.

The spam-can ammo is great for plinking,

but it's corrosive, and not very accurate. I

would say it depends on what you want for

accuracy. MOA, not generally, and I've got

3 Mosins with good bores.

You shoot better with better ammo, but that's

generally accurate, once again not MOA.

Bear in mind this rifle was designed so a

platoon or company could all shoot a massed

volley downrange, making the accuracy of a

single gun moot.

My best with decent ammo(as in, name brand,brass, boxer primed)

is all 5 shots on a 6" target at 50 yards, with iron sights.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #18

Liked 106 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Some things to consider... as said before, off the self it's a crap shoot. Some will shoot good, some are wall hangers (and they ain't all that pretty). If you happen to get one that shoots good, you can make some improvements such as a receiver scope mount (best left to a gun smith to install) and a Timney trigger, also not easy to install and cost almost as much as the gun. When they cost about $69 it was worth the gamble. I have about $200 into mine (I did the work myself) and off the bench with good ammo at 100 yards, 2 out of 3 touching. Not the norm. With all that said, and Mosins crowding $175, I would not do it again. Now a person would have about $300 into it, still be taking the gamble, and that does not include any gunsmithing. Unless you are getting one as a collector I would think you could pick up a modern rifle in your choice of caliber that will outperform most Mosins for about the same price without the gamble.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Best 5 shot group at 100 yards ive achieved with handloads at 100 yards with my mosin sniper is .6 inches. My m44 is lucky to hit paper at 100yards. My standard model 91/30 is a solid 1.5 to 2 inch gun with open sights.

Best reason to get one is cheap ammo, rugged reliability, power of a 30-06 in a sub 200$ rifle.

There are scope mounts that replace the rear sight but a extea long eye relief scope must be used. I wouldnt drill the reciever for a mount they dont lend well to that sort of bubbasmithing.

The 91/30 has been around over a century most are older than any 700 rem and will be around long after the 700 is no longer made.

Winchester white box 7.62x54r is excellent hunting ammo cheaper than 30-06 or 243 or 270.

You do kinda need to know what your looking at if your not getting one straight out of the ruskie cosmoline. Even then quality is a issue.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

I'm seeing Mosin Nagant M90/30 for sale for only $129.00. Why so low a price?