Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin 91/30 ex sniper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 223 Times on 139 Posts

Is it an outdoor range? I've got about a half dozen AK mags I've been just waiting to empty,I don't like having all of my mags full which they currently are so I've been looking for a place to empty a few. The last few times I've shot the ak I'ts been at the range at Natchez trace state park since the local ranges don't allow x39. Im free on weekends for the most part,message my dad about it and see if y'all can't get something set up I'd definitely tag along and bring my toys

Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #12

Liked 663 Times on 454 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong View Post
I reckon an original sniper would be a bit out of my reach financially,I'm only 20 but do have a good full-time job which I'm very grateful to have in these increasingly trying times. That is a beautiful rifle you have there,awesome piece of history. Howd you get your hands on that one if you don't mind me asking?
The Fore stock is pretty worn. Bought it from the Importer. Not an original WWII PU, it a post war. Decreases value big time. Fun Shooter.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #13

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong
Is it an outdoor range? I've got about a half dozen AK mags I've been just waiting to empty,I don't like having all of my mags full which they currently are so I've been looking for a place to empty a few. The last few times I've shot the ak I'ts been at the range at Natchez trace state park since the local ranges don't allow x39. Im free on weekends for the most part,message my dad about it and see if y'all can't get something set up I'd definitely tag along and bring my toys
I know nothing about it, except for an approximate location. Will keep y'all posted.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

I know nothing about it, except for an approximate location. Will keep y'all posted.
Alrighty cool deal

Old 12-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #15

Liked 1060 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Most, but not all, of the Mosin Nagant snipers on the market today are guns cobbled together for the American Market. The are nothing less than fakes; sometimes the seller will tell you they are fake, sometimes they don't. They start with a random gun pulled out of the pile, add a cheaply made look-alike Scope, a newly made reproduction mount and a new turned down bolt and sell it for a "sniper". The cobbled together rifles may not be accurate enough to hit the broad side of a barn.

The real snipers (available at Rguns and a couple of other sources) were built by the Soviet Union on rifles specially selected for being accurate, buit with period made scopes and bolts; they are "real" Mosin Nagant sniper rifles, and worth the extra money.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 12-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
Most, but not all, of the Mosin Nagant snipers on the market today are guns cobbled together for the American Market. The are nothing less than fakes; sometimes the seller will tell you they are fake, sometimes they don't. They start with a random gun pulled out of the pile, add a cheaply made look-alike Scope, a newly made reproduction mount and a new turned down bolt and sell it for a "sniper". The cobbled together rifles may not be accurate enough to hit the broad side of a barn.

The real snipers (available at Rguns and a couple of other sources) were built by the Soviet Union on rifles specially selected for being accurate, buit with period made scopes and bolts; they are "real" Mosin Nagant sniper rifles, and worth the extra money.
I am aware of the mass amount of reproductions being fake,based on standard 91/30s and lessr quality repro scopes.But that's the first place I've seen original mosin snipers,$800 isn't as bad as I thought it would be.I agree they would be worth the extra money but if I saved that much for a WW2 sniper then I'd almost be into the price range for 1903 Springfield,and that decision would be a whole nother dilemma lol

Old 12-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5103 Times on 2653 Posts
Likes Given: 309

rguns is a good source for the real deal. they also sell ex snipers from time to time.

ive got a real sniper that was refurbed then put into storage in 1964 and later sold as surplus. mine was still filled with 50 year old cosmoline.

refurbs that were done by the soviets are the same price as the non refurbs.

check my post here:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-sniper-42492/

and here:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/mosin-pu-sniper-manual-46485/

for a little more info involving these guns

rguns currently has exsnipers in stock for 99$ each

http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-bolt.shtml

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-15-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:42 PM   #18

I've attached a couple of almost decent pictures. I don't know much about the Mosins, but are these the plugged holes that make it a sniper?

image-898070043.jpg   image-3946300960.jpg  

Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy
I've attached a couple of almost decent pictures. I don't know much about the Mosins, but are these the plugged holes that make it a sniper?
Yes. That's them.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:47 PM   #20

Sure us some receiver markings please.