mosin 91/30 ex sniper
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mosin 91/30 ex sniper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Default mosin 91/30 ex sniper

Looking to find one,checked all the local shops and still can't find one with the plugged and welded holes on the inside of the reciever.I figure my best bet would to find one at a gun show,any other ways to acquire one that I'm overlooking? I want to ultimately turn it into an original looking 91/30 sniper,enemy at the gates style,I know you can buy them off jgsales and other online gun dealers but most are just standard 91/30s that aren't actually ex snipers and I want to do it right the first time with an ex sniper on my own. Anybody done something similar? I'm NOT looking to sporterize one,I appreciate and love the original mosin sniper look.

Tips,advice and opinions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

Also does anyone know where and what the ex sniper markings look like,right now the only way I've been able to identify an ex sniper is to look for the plugged holes on the inside of the reciever

Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #3

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Finding the plugged holes is a sure sign.

Check out http://7.62x54r.net/ there is a ton of info on everything mosin.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

I just bought a sniper mosin from Mitchell's Mausers online. I have shot it once since I got it a couple months ago and I like it. Although after reading this I'm going to have to check for the plugged holes though.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #5

Liked 2604 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Have you tried asking J&G if they have one??

Old 12-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
Have you tried asking J&G if they have one??
I have thought about that,in the description for their 91/30 sniper reproductions it says rifle may or may not have ex sniper markings,seeing as there weren't a significant percentage of them originally made into snipers out of the 13 million made I take that as a "may not". But it is worth a shot to see if they can be bought into digging through their lots to find an actual ex-sniper,so I'm going to email them about it. Ideally I'd like to put my hands on the rifle before purchase because I've been told some ex snipers were re-arsenaled because they fell into disrepair and failed to hold up to sniper standards,after all the snipers were re-arsenaled theres no way to tell the difference without checking it out and/or shooting it

Old 12-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Finding the plugged holes is a sure sign.

Check out http://7.62x54r.net/ there is a ton of info on everything mosin.
Awesome site,lots of great information.definitely bookmarking that one thanks

Btw my father,downsouth,said you live in the area trip.Don't know if y'all got a shooting trip in the works or what but I definitely don't want to get left behind if y'all do.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #8

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

One thing about Sniper Reproductions, Not all are reproductions! The Soviets built and refurbished snipers into the 1960's. They were used by the Chinese and North Vietnamese. The Scope dimensions are the only way to tell if it is post war. Reproduction scopes are not the same dimensions. Post war original scopes and mounts are not serial #'ed to the rifle. Original Tula have a CH stamped on the receiver, Izhevsk do not. Izhevsk May have the scope serial number stamped on the leftside of the receiver. 1942 rifles often do not as they were cranking them out. Mine is a 1942, with a 1950's early '60's base and mount that have the correct stamps. The scope was made at the Progress plant, also correct. The rifle has no additional stamps. The scope covers through the mount was adopted in the 1950's.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh
One thing about Sniper Reproductions, Not all are reproductions! The Soviets built and refurbished snipers into the 1960's. They were used by the Chinese and North Vietnamese. The Scope dimensions are the only way to tell if it is post war. Reproduction scopes are not the same dimensions. Post war original scopes and mounts are not serial #'ed to the rifle. Original Tula have a CH stamped on the receiver, Izhevsk do not. Izhevsk May have the scope serial number stamped on the leftside of the receiver. 1942 rifles often do not as they were cranking them out. Mine is a 1942, with a 1950's early '60's base and mount that have the correct stamps. The scope was made at the Progress plant, also correct. The rifle has no additional stamps. The scope covers through the mount was adopted in the 1950's.
I reckon an original sniper would be a bit out of my reach financially,I'm only 20 but do have a good full-time job which I'm very grateful to have in these increasingly trying times. That is a beautiful rifle you have there,awesome piece of history. Howd you get your hands on that one if you don't mind me asking?

Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #10

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstrong

Awesome site,lots of great information.definitely bookmarking that one thanks

Btw my father,downsouth,said you live in the area trip.Don't know if y'all got a shooting trip in the works or what but I definitely don't want to get left behind if y'all do.
They opened up a range in como, been wanting someone to check it out with me. Maybe sometime between Christmas and new year's?