Mosin? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The 1905 war with japan was a disater and a large part of the Russian Army were made up of conscripts who had to serve a number of year. Many indeed DID come from the Estates or "plantations" as I referred to them. While there were many former serf who worked up from poverty and owned their own land (Kulacks) or moved to the industrial cities, many still lived and worked the lands worked by their fathers etc while enserfed.
The Mosin was tested and chosen by the Tsar (Yes he had a committee that recommended it) and by the soon-to be Tsar Nicholas. As is obvious by the name, it was chosen in 1891.
The power levels of the loaded ammo vary with the round and the country that made it. Some ammo is a heavier ball for machine guns (can also be fired in rifles) and we've seen some of this in the US surplus market. The most encountered is the 150-sh grain bullet whichis pushed out at velocities in the vicinity of the 7.62NATO and the .30-06. We encountered a lot of this stuff in RVN.. literally piles of Mosin rifles and ammunition. Some of these were played with bu the troops and most but not all were destroyed. I know of one m44 that DID get back to the States. There was no ammo available commercially then, other than maybe some high priced Normas stuff. RES, btw, that is a very nice lookin Mosin.. good shooter too, sounds like.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #32

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Heres my M44, forgot to attach it to my post earlier

forumrunner_20111211_181825.jpg

forumrunner_20111211_181848.jpg

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #33

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRanull View Post
The 1905 war with japan was a disater and a large part of the Russian Army were made up of conscripts who had to serve a number of year. Many indeed DID come from the Estates or "plantations" as I referred to them. While there were many former serf who worked up from poverty and owned their own land (Kulacks) or moved to the industrial cities, many still lived and worked the lands worked by their fathers etc while enserfed.
The Mosin was tested and chosen by the Tsar (Yes he had a committee that recommended it) and by the soon-to be Tsar Nicholas. As is obvious by the name, it was chosen in 1891.
The power levels of the loaded ammo vary with the round and the country that made it. Some ammo is a heavier ball for machine guns (can also be fired in rifles) and we've seen some of this in the US surplus market. The most encountered is the 150-sh grain bullet whichis pushed out at velocities in the vicinity of the 7.62NATO and the .30-06. We encountered a lot of this stuff in RVN.. literally piles of Mosin rifles and ammunition. Some of these were played with bu the troops and most but not all were destroyed. I know of one m44 that DID get back to the States. There was no ammo available commercially then, other than maybe some high priced Normas stuff. RES, btw, that is a very nice lookin Mosin.. good shooter too, sounds like.
The Russians lost at sea, not on land.

Qoute: The battles of the Russo-Japanese War, in which machine guns and artillery took a heavy toll on Japanese troops, were a precursor to the trench warfare of World War I.

The Rifle was adopted by Military commission, not the Czar, although they were appointed by him. 180gr is not, and was not a machine gun round. It is an accurized round.

I'll agree we disagree.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #34

Ive played hell with my m91/30 nagant thats my go any where do anything gun drop in mud or anything in any weather it still shoots like a champ. I drilled into the wood and attached a side scope that came off a model 94 30/30 ya it didnt work first shot split the wood bout an inch. The front sight moves freely even tho ive guirrla glued it but the power house round knocked it loose again. The scout mount i tried was a POS zip tied down and didnt keep a shot pattern. Painted the sight post white haha hate em been lookin for somethin better but no suggestions. I fire all kinda ammo out her i looked at the bore n its rusted from this humid weather plus my light cleanin job.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #35

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

With I first mine, it looked like it was growing fur inside the bore. Still shot POA.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #36

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickHarrison View Post
Ive played hell with my m91/30 nagant thats my go any where do anything gun drop in mud or anything in any weather it still shoots like a champ. I drilled into the wood and attached a side scope that came off a model 94 30/30 ya it didnt work first shot split the wood bout an inch. The front sight moves freely even tho ive guirrla glued it but the power house round knocked it loose again. The scout mount i tried was a POS zip tied down and didnt keep a shot pattern. Painted the sight post white haha hate em been lookin for somethin better but no suggestions. I fire all kinda ammo out her i looked at the bore n its rusted from this humid weather plus my light cleanin job.
Have you tried JB weld or maybe soldering it into place?

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some numbers relevant to the comparable power of the .308/7.62NATO, the 7.62X54Russian Rimmed and the .30-06=7.62X63. Info taken from reloading data and Chuck Hawks
.308/7.62NATO 150 gr spitzer=2820fps 2648ft lb me
.30-06 150gr spitzer= 2910fps 2820ft lb me
7.62X54 Russian Rimmed 150gr 2800 fps 2620 ft lb me
As we can see, the .308 and 7.62 Russian Rimmed are on a ballistic par, while the '06 is a leg up on both.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

jpattersonnh sez: The Russians lost at sea, not on land. True enuff, the Battle of Tshushima Straits- After almost a year-long siege and hand to hand fighting at Port Arthur.

Qoute: The battles of the Russo-Japanese War, in which machine guns and artillery took a heavy toll on Japanese troops, were a precursor to the trench warfare of World War I. True enuff

The Rifle was adopted by Military commission, not the Czar, although they were appointed by him. 180gr is not, and was not a machine gun round. It is an accurized round.
Which is what I said, below.
Both Alexander and his son Nicholas tested the rifle and approved it. There are many history books written of those last days of the Russian Empire, always interesting reading and a lot of details. Just sayin.