Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mosin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Mosin?

Hey guys. I think Im going to get a mosin in the next week or so, is it a good weapon even though its old? And where online can I get cheap new rounds for it, not the old stuff?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

We have several threads going on mosins, see if you can find some of them. There's also a sticky on cleaning them.

They are a good rifle, in spite of their age. Mine has a dark and pitted bore, and still shoots soda cans at 100 yards. New ammo costs vary, sometimes ranging from 10 to 25 dollars for a box if 20. But there is nothing wrong with surplus ammo (pay attention to hunting laws, they vary from state to state), I and many others use cheap old corrosive surplus ammo, and have no complaints about it.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #3

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon12312 View Post
Hey guys. I think Im going to get a mosin in the next week or so, is it a good weapon even though its old? And where online can I get cheap new rounds for it, not the old stuff?
Rather subjective question...depends on what you plan to do with it. For range use and recreational shooting they are a lot of fun. The 7.62 x 54mm round is a big bang flamethrower, you feel every bit of that round leaving the barrel. Accuracy is great out to about 150-200 yds on open sights and the gun is a simple design that doesn't require a lot of babying and maintenance. Just keep the barrel and action clean of that corrosive ammo residue and the gun will last forever.

For hunting and home defense they are not the most practical, the rifle is long (48", 60" plus with bayo) and heavy (about 7 lbs) so it's not really something that I would want to go slogging through the brush with. Taking deer from a blind would work if that's your thing but given the extra effort to mount a scope a Remmy 700 in .30-06 is probably a better choice there.

New ammo is available in brass casing without the corrosive salt based primer powders but it's pricey, about $1 a round, not bad for a game load but expensive plinking ammo. Some of the mil-surp is newer 80's vintage and goes for about $80 per 440 rnds. That, however, is generally the corrosive steel cased commie stuff.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #4

Awsome. Thanks guys. It just a cheap gun that I thought id pick up just to have it. Dont plan on doing anything special with it just bring it to the range.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

The best part of buying a MN is the next ten you buy. It never ends. There was a great tread last week showing the family of Nagants, must have been a hundred of them.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon12312
Awsome. Thanks guys. It just a cheap gun that I thought id pick up just to have it. Dont plan on doing anything special with it just bring it to the range.
The way I figure it, they've been to war; that's testimony enough for me. Pick one up, you'll enjoy it. Also check out www.7.62X54R.net lots if info there.

And beware, it's known to cause the serious disease, mosinitis. Symptoms include rabid advocacy of the rifle and cartridge, and an almost unstoppable urge to collect any of them that you can get your hands on.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
The way I figure it, they've been to war; that's testimony enough for me. Pick one up, you'll enjoy it. Also check out 7.62x54r.net lots if info there.

And beware, it's known to cause the serious disease, mosinitis. Symptoms include rabid advocacy of the rifle and cartridge, and an almost unstoppable urge to collect any of them that you can get your hands on.
Mine's been acting up lately. I just purchased a Mosin Nagant M44 .

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 12-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #8

As my first rifle, I loved my mosin. It is a reliable, fun, and accurate rifle if you don't mind the kick. I'm able to get surplus ammo (980 rounds) for $120, so it is a pretty affordable gun to shoot. The ammo is surplus, so the gun needs a good cleaning afterwards, but it's well worth it for inexpensive ammunition. As long as you don't mind cleaning off cosmoline and sending a lot of patches through your barrel, you should have a blast with a mosin nagant.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #9

Well I have to get one now. But It sounds like ill be getting a few if I catch mosinitis. Thanks guys!

Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #10

You really need to look at the other threads too, there is a lot of info here on cleaning off the cosmoline (which is bothersome, you'll appreciate the tips I promise) what to expect to get with the rifle, diss and ass, ammo costs and so on.

It's a very simple weapon to get along with, but these other threads will help you out. I would link up some of these, but I can't do that on my phone and it's hell to pry my wife away from the computer.