More Black with Bronze Phosphor Brush
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

More Black with Bronze Phosphor Brush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default More Black with Bronze Phosphor Brush

I may be one of those guys who wears out a barrel by over-cleaning but when is enough enough? I can get clean patches even following a nylon brush but after running a bronze brush, things again turn black again, even after about 5 cycles of brush followed by a patch. And this is following only 10 rounds through the rifle. Do bronze brushes create a false positive? Is the brush slowly eroding to small particles that look black (brush has lost 0.010" in diameter after 91 strokes through the bore)? I know colloidal silver (small silver particles) are black even though the bulk metal is shiny. What are others experience with this? Do I need to keep scrubbing with the bronze brush until a following patch comes out clean? Thanks for any input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #2

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

You counted the strokes and measured your brush with a micrometer?

And if a hard, solid chunk of metal can be blasted through a barrel at thousands of feet per second, I don't see how a brush could possibly harm it.

Try ditching the brush and using a jag and patches, see if that doesn't clear up your problem.

Last edited by trip286; 12-05-2013 at 06:38 PM.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Patches come out clean

Try ditching the brush and using a jag and patches, see if that doesn't clear up your problem.[/QUOTE]

I do use a jag and patches in between the brush strokes. Everything comes out clean until I use the bronze brush again.

[QUOTE=trip286;1449963]You counted the strokes and measured your brush with a micrometer?

Yes, I counted the brush strokes and measured the diameter before and after with calipers. Call me crazy. I'm a scientist and I measure everything.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think you are over thinking the situation. the brush is made of bronze and bronze is much softer than hardened barrel steel. i seriously doubt your brush is doing any wearing of the rifle bore.

the cleaning brushes are typically a little larger than the bore they ae designed to be cleaning. after a while they will deform to the bore size when they have been used enough. the tight brush, plus bore solvent are what clean the barrel. i replace my bore brushes on a regular basis. they wear out.

nylon brushes are for specialized bore solvents that will deteriorate bronze or brass bore brushes. if you are not using the type of solvent they require, then you are not doing any real cleaning. i use nylon brushes as well with the proper bore solvents for them.

you need to get a book on proper gun cleaning and maintenance and read up on cleaning the bore of a gun.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Still wondering

I appreciate all the comments guys but can anyone answer the question? Do bronze brushes cause the following patches to be black even from a clean bore or is the brush still removing powder residue? Do you all clean until patches come out white even following a bronze brush or do you give your barrels a few swipes with brushes and patches and call it quits..

Old 12-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4333 Times on 2931 Posts
Likes Given: 2167

No. Bronze brushes do not cause the patches to turn black. It comes from the carbon fouling. Bronze bristles pick it up better from the bore grooves. At some point trying to make the bore surgically clean no longer makes practical sense. Consider using bronze brushes from the beginning, not wasting time with nylon. For normal fouling about 5 wet brush cycles followed by the patches is enough.

Some manufacturers supply nylon brushes with the new guns. They are good for polygonal barrels (Glock) and less effective in most barrels.

Bronze brushes may cause false positives for copper fouling, when copper solvents are used. The discoloration is green or blue, but not black.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 PM   #7

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I haven't personally had this problem, but I have polished metals. I always end up cleaning off a black or gray residue.

If you're getting clean patches and your bore looks good, then why keep cleaning? You don't have to get down to the molecular level here.

This stuff, which I doubt amounts to much, right? Is likely residue that's coming off the softer of the two metals-your brush, which it sounds like that's kinda what you suspected. (or it could be what that guy |` said)

You WILL NOT wear your barrel out by over cleaning. And there's a difference between meticulous and compulsive. I think you may be getting into the territory of the latter.

Last edited by trip286; 12-05-2013 at 10:13 PM.
ratpacker Likes This 
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22308 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexntex View Post
I appreciate all the comments guys but can anyone answer the question? Do bronze brushes cause the following patches to be black even from a clean bore or is the brush still removing powder residue? Do you all clean until patches come out white even following a bronze brush or do you give your barrels a few swipes with brushes and patches and call it quits..
the powder residue comes out pretty easily in most cases. the black is usually the copper residue reacting with the bore solvent. sometimes it can be green or grey in color.

it's not clean until the patches come out clean after brushing with a bore solvent. the number of rifle bores that people think are clean might suprise you. you keep keep brushing and running patches with solvent until they come out clean. this will vary from rifle to rifle, also depending on the bullets fired through the rifle and the number of shots between cleanings.

i have bought rifles used where i have spent a couple of hours running brushes and patches to get the bore clean.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like the reactions are pretty mixed so the discussion is very interesting. For those as compulsive as I am (I can't disagree with you trip286 but I like to think of it as thorough), here's more food for thought for those with the patience to think it through.

I spend about 3 hours cleaning, running about 5 stokes with a bronze brush, then wipe the brush with a paper towel. I follow with 3 to 5 patches of Hoppe's No. 9 letting the solvent soak in the barrel for a while between patches. I repeat this about 5 times. Patches come out clean. But each time I return to the brush, things turn black again, not green or blue. I tried a nylon brush just to see if it generated black like the bronze brush. It didn't. So, is the bore clean? Probably clean enough according to trip286 and he is probably right. But he also points out that, after polishing metals, he always wipes off a black or gray residue. So, is the bronze brush polishing the barrel, or vice-versa, and generating the black? He says that the residue is likely coming from the brush and I have read elsewhere that bronze brushes can give false positives, maybe for copper though and not carbon. Yes, trip286, what I am wondering is whether the black can be residue not related to a dirty barrel but rather from abrasion. Or is the bore still dirty like Axxe55 suggests. Do I need more hours of cleaning as he suggests because, according to him, powder residue comes out pretty easily and the patches should come out clean even after brushing. That makes sense too. But, Axxe55 you say some things that are confusing (not a criticism, just questions trying to figure this out). You say the black is usually copper residue reacting with the bore solvent and it it sometimes gray or green. Reaction products between ammonia and copper are blue or green. I don't think they could be black. Also, if this reaction is occurring, how do you get your patches to come out clean? Mercator also says that bronze brushes don't cause the patches to turn black. It's the carbon fouling.

So, maybe the debate continues. If you get black patches after brushing even after meticulous cleaning, is there still carbon in the barrel and it is still dirty OR is the barrel clean and the black come from the brush, probably from abrasion or polishing, not from a chemical reaction? I don't want to be compulsive. I just want to clean the barrel until it's clean and quit when it is. Any other comments? Anyone else want to let us know their experience?

Old 12-06-2013, 02:35 AM   #10

Liked 539 Times on 290 Posts

When polishing metals you often end up with the base metals color on your rag, or polishing cloth. Perfect example is when you polish aluminum you end up with black.... Cause aluminum is black as ore.