Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   modifying my levergun ?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/modifying-my-levergun-51394/)

Tailypoe 11-08-2011 01:36 AM

modifying my levergun ??

I've been seriously thinking about gettign a marlin model 1895sbl in .45-70 to accompany me to Argentina. Military rifles are frowned upon there, much like here in Canada. ... I've seen " mare's legs ", lever rifles where the stock has been shortened, usually a pistol calibre carbine. I don't like these.
I've been thinking of cutting some wood off ( How dare you, such a beautiful gun, I know. ) to make it lighter. ...
Is this wise ? could it coause problems with the way the weapon handles ?
Is there a way i can modify my stock to " skeletonize " it ? I don't know about the kind of wood they use, it appears to be stained grey, probably made from oak or walnut, in my estimation.
Do y'all know anything about this ? I don't rly see why i couldn't cut a chunk out and sand it, but I don't want to get an expensive gun and then mess it up permanently with a hacksaw.
... what are your thoughts on this subject ? I think if it helps portability as a shtf rifle, go for it.

Tailypoe 11-08-2011 10:12 PM

winchester 30 30

I know the winchester 30-30 we have has had the stock refitted with a buttpad, with no ill effect on the wood.
... I've seen a couple of " mare's legs " ppl made with some kind of saw.

pioneer461 11-08-2011 10:49 PM

I think any time you change the length of pull on a long gun, you need to adapt to the shorter, or longer, stock. You won't know if it effects your shooting until you do it.

Have you searched for after market stocks (wood or synthetic) that may fit your needs?

Hinermad 11-08-2011 11:07 PM

The 1895SBL has a laminated stock, but I don't know what wood they used for the laminate. The plain wood stocks are walnut.

If you're reluctant to cut the laminate, maybe you could get a replacement stock and cut that? Save the stock, uh, stock for when you decide to restore it to its original configuration.

I understand the .45-70 has a respectable recoil. I'd ask around and see if that might be a reason to not skeletonize the laminate stock. Maybe there's an aftermarket synthetic stock that will fit that's already skeletonized.

Dave

Hawg 11-08-2011 11:22 PM

If you cut a chunk out of the middle it won't be enough weight reduction to really notice plus the stock will be much weaker and prone to breaking.

JTJ 11-08-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinermad (Post 622800)
The 1895SBL has a laminated stock, but I don't know what wood they used for the laminate. The plain wood stocks are walnut.

If you're reluctant to cut the laminate, maybe you could get a replacement stock and cut that? Save the stock, uh, stock for when you decide to restore it to its original configuration.

I understand the .45-70 has a respectable recoil. I'd ask around and see if that might be a reason to not skeletonize the laminate stock. Maybe there's an aftermarket synthetic stock that will fit that's already skeletonized.

Dave

You are right about the recoil. It is considerable and I would not lighten the stock. On the plus side the recoil is more of a hard push than a sharp pulse. The Ruger #3 was worse but the nastiest one was the Browning with its narrow, rounded and curved butt plate. I know one guy that broke his arm when he rushed a shot and did not get it properly mounted.

Tailypoe 11-09-2011 01:17 AM

hollow stock

I'm a guy who can crank off 12 .ga target loads all day with no ill effect.
I know there are .45 70 revolvers, and the thomspon contender handguns out there that are surprisingly popular ...
I'm a well-built guy, at least sicnce i started lifting weights. I don't see why i couldn't mod my rifle a bit so it could hold some survival gear. That would be awesome, having a lighter and some small supplies / tools chillin' in my stock.

therewolf 11-09-2011 06:06 PM

I'd have to agree with Hinermad, if the original is nice,why not get a

replacement stock, and cut on that one. I've got a very respectable Black

Walnut stock on my Marlin, just the thought of cutting it makes me cringe...

cmhill 11-09-2011 07:01 PM

If you are attempting to shorten it but without looseing weight you can always shorten the stock but before attacting a buttplate or recoil pad drill into the stock from the end and cast lead weights or something of the sort to compensate for the weight lost from shortening

Tailypoe 11-09-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhill (Post 623406)
If you are attempting to shorten it but without looseing weight you can always shorten the stock but before attacting a buttplate or recoil pad drill into the stock from the end and cast lead weights or something of the sort to compensate for the weight lost from shortening

That would kind of defeat the point,
as the original idea was to make it more portable. I guess turning it into a steve mcqueen-stlye mare's leg would be too unwieldly for most people. Me, tho, I'm definitely not most ppl. :cool: