Modernized Rifles:How really effective are they?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Modernized Rifles:How really effective are they?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Modernized Rifles:How really effective are they?

While surfing through the internet, I saw and read several articles concerning the modernization of old firearms.
Could be they efficiently/successfully used in modern warfare/real combat situation?

Here you have some examples:

1)SKS
Bullpup

Classic

2)M14/MA1:
Classic(M14 EBR):

Bullpup(Bulldog 762):

3)FN FAL
Bullpup:

Classic:

3)AKM
Classic(Not AK 103/104):

Bullpup:

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

They are great for cqb.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Looking at the rifles, I'm confused as to how you came up w/ the classes.

Both SKS's are not the standard
That EBR is not a classic
The Classic FN folding stock, you have w/ the bull pup
That AK is an abomination. Bull pup pic not visible, but a POS when you access the pic

Seems like tacticool is your thing, but not wood and steel.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 09-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1228 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 2478

Those guns are modern and they don't need to be modernized. The basic design of rifles really hasn't changed. An AR is slightly different all though I wouldn't necessarily say an improvement. I would say an AR is equal to those others with its own special purpose, but not an improvement. Just another tool.

Adding black plastic and a rail for toys doesn't make a gun better or improved. I guess you could call it modernized but that's not saying much since that's more of fashion statement than anything.

Just my .02

Old 09-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The SKS is the forerunner of the AK. They are both used all over the world today without the addition of anything but ammunition.

The FAL is the same. "The right arm of the free world". Still being used and actually fought against itself in the Falklands War.

The M1A is in the field as I write this and is still one of the greatest battle rifles ever designed. It was based on the M1 Garand, the rifle that won WWII.

They are modern rifles and don't need any tacticool additions to "improve" them.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
AleksiR Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Also that bullpup "FAL" is actually a Kel-Tec RFB. Only things in common with the FAL are the caliber and the magazine.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #7

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I am not an AK fan. I have owned SkS's in the past. In open sight range they are more accurate than a Remington Woodsmaster with modern hunting ammo. I have won some small bets off people that were shooting nice A-bolt 300mags with a scope. But that was more of an opportunity thing. The 300 had already beat the shooter down to the point they were shooting with their eyes closed.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #8

Liked 1453 Times on 881 Posts
Likes Given: 337

I question whether "modernizing" improves the firearm, or if it just makes it look tacticool.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #9

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have to vote tacticool. All you need on a rifle is a light. People have been mounting lights on rifles since the invention of the D cell battery. The little short barrel just robs an already under powered weapon of much needed velocity. The tripod just makes the weapon look good in a photo. We have had forked sticks since the beginning of time. For practical purposes a shooting stick works just as well as a tripod and you can use it kneeling.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 09-06-2012 at 11:55 AM.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #10

Liked 1839 Times on 1025 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

I have an SKS. I also have an AR. I would not have a problem defending myself with either. The only upgrade that the SKS really needs to compete is a detachable magazine.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

CA357 Likes This