model 783 vs savage axis xp
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > model 783 vs savage axis xp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Default model 783 vs savage axis xp

Found these rifles new at cabellas for around $400 each. A friend of mine is a beginner hunter, just wants a decent rifle that shoots straight for cheap. Did some research and came across these two rifles since they come in a variety of calibers for cheap. Does anybody own one of these rifles or know anything about it? He wants it in .270 or .30-06 possibly 7mm rem mag if he goes with the model 783.. Never used that round before so I know very little about it. I suggested .270

"There was a time when the world asked ordinary men to do extraordinary things."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #2

Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You might want to check out the Marlin X and Ruger American rifles too. Price wise, in same ballpark as the Axis and 783. Own an Axis and just have handled the Remington. Own several Marlin X rifles and have handled the Ruger American a number of times at LGS.

Chuckle, both the Marlin and the Remington have Mayfield Kentucky stamped on their barrels.....made in same factory? There was nothing about the Remington 783 that made me think I'd want to buy one. Can't say that about the Ruger Americans I've handled.

As to cartridge to buy.....suggest you consider a .308.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #3

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't know too much about the 783. Remington's previous economy gun, the 770, was almost universally condemned but they may have fixed the problems in the new gun.

I'm a big fan of Savage rifles, on the other hand, and their Axis line always gets lots of recommendations whenever someone is looking for an inexpensive, entry level rifle.

As far as caliber choice, I would not recommend the 7mm mag for a new shooter, or anyone else for that matter unless they needed a long range rifle for elk or larger game. The .30-06 and .270 are quite close in capabilities. The .270 is a bit flatter shooting, while the .30-06 can handle somewhat heavier bullets. For deer size game either one will do.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by huffmanite View Post
As to cartridge to buy.....suggest you consider a .308.
Itll be his 2nd or 3rd time hunting, so I was thinking a smaller cartridge like the .270. I have a .300 and a .308 and I actually use my .243 more often then those haha. I guess it all depends on his preferences,

"There was a time when the world asked ordinary men to do extraordinary things."

Old 08-17-2013, 04:49 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

The 243 is a great cartridge for deer maybe also look at a 7mm-08 or a 25-06. Depends on the range and terrain you will be hunting. Also think ahead, will he eventually want to use it for more large game say elk or bear? If so I suggest to go no smaller than the 270. If not stay with the other mention cartridges. I also don't suggest the 7mm RM may be a bit much on the shoulder for a beginning shooter.

As for the rifles I own a savage axis in a 223 good little gun almost all savages are great shooters no matter the price. I dont have as much experience with Remington but they have just recently released the new 783 I believe and it's always good try something new. I'm a fan of both remington and savage but more so the savage. The axis is cheap very reliable straight shooting and great overall value.

~TJ

Last edited by Tjurgensen; 08-17-2013 at 04:51 AM.