Model 700 misfire?!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Model 700 misfire?!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default Model 700 misfire?!

Saw a news report on accidents with the model 700 misfiring? Very strange videos showing the weapon firing with out the trigger being pulled. Anyone know anything about this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2563 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

It can and has happened. The minimal amount of these that happened were factory set rifles. And as I recall most was when the safety was put on and taken off! Of Course, the liberal news stations tried to make it into shooters thinking it was a regular occurrence which it is not.. In an attempt to slow gun purchases no doubt discredit the Remington Gun Company! It can happen if adjustments have been made incorrectly by the factory or an owner or back yard gunsmith! If you know what I mean? Improper adjustments can make this happen very easily. But I do not think it is of much concern. If one gets a new 700 series rifle they should check to see if they can get this issue to occur with their new rifle when the get it home. I have several Remington Bolt guns with factory set triggers and also with easily adjustable triggers. I have only had it happen to me while adjusting triggers. Simple fix! Proper Adjustment! But should not be done by a novice or someone who is not familiar with the correct procedures and trigger adjustments. That is why Remington advises if anyone has any trigger issues to send it back to the Factory or one of their Service Centers. An incorrectly adjusted trigger is simply a major liability!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 AM   #3

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I don't know about that. What I saw was they fine tuned the triggers so soft that if you bumped the gun it would go off. They had a special on tv about it and not one of those gun that was tested could reproduce an accidental fire. Remington didn't even get a chance to see most of those guns. I believe its all fake. I believe it was the gun handler making the guns go off by having their hands on the trigger then blaming the gun.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I've heard of em going off when the safety was clicked off.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2739 Times on 1435 Posts
Likes Given: 231

This has been discussed repeatedly several months ago. It is NOT, I repeat NOT a misfire. A misfire is when the gun fails to go bang when the trigger is pulled. What it is is an unintentional discharge. The Remington 700 has an adjustable trigger there is a specific way to properly adjust the trigger. Failure to follow the proper protocol can and will cause bad things to happen.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

axxe55 Likes This 
Closed Thread