Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Model 70 Winchester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Model 70 Winchester

Hello new poster, but I have frequented this board for a while

I have been looking at getting a new Elk rifle in 300 wsm. My dad has always been a big fan of the model 70 so I have been looking at a new controlled feed Extreme Weather SS. Does anyone have any experience with this gun or is there anything I should know before I buy.

I have also been looking at sako tikka and Rem 700, but I think I have decided on the Winchester. Price is not a big part of my decision; I want a rifle that I can give to my grandchildren in 40 years.

Thanks everyone

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Welcome to the Forum - and thanks for signing up. We have been drawing some lurkers out of the shadows lately and that is good.

I personally love the Winchester Model 70. It's a great action, it's solid, and it has some great, beefy features to it that make it better, in my humble opinion, to the Remington 700.

I did a side by side rifle action comparison for the forum that you can readhere if you are so inclined.

A couple things you should know about the Model 70 action is that it's a bit harder on tooling to work it over, so some 'smiths charge more for the labor if you are planning on building the gun up into something "specialized".

In Addition the action itself is going to add some weight to the overall weapon, so if you are planning on packing this in somewhere to hunt, factor that in as well.

But, the action itself is a well designed, well built piece that serve you well for many years to come.

Best of Luck!

JD

Old 01-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

While I am intimately familiar with the model 70, I don't have any 1st hand experience with the newest production made in the FN FNH USA plant. From everything I've seen & heard, they're very well made so I'm sure they wouldn't be a bad choice. The Winchester model 70 is arguably the most recoginizable (read famous) commerical action in the united states, and has been around longer than all other currently made designs-mauser 98 don't count as they were originally designed for military applications. The model 70 is 1 of the best commerical adaptations of the 98 mauser (as well as the Ruger m77). I'm sure you'll have an rifle worthy of being passed down with the model 70.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

My dad has a pre-64 Model 70 in .270 Win flavor. The bolt on it is buttery smooth, the trigger is pretty nice and it puts the bullets where you want them to go. I've never once seen it misfeed.

It was what he used to feed his family for the first 10 or 12 years of my life. With it, he never failed to drag home a nice bull elk and a few deer.

The controlled feed feature is similar to the pre-64 model 70s. I think you'll enjoy it. I do question the need for the 7mm Mag though. It's not required to drop an elk in all but the longest shots. The .270 Win is a great round and if it's used by a hunter that well versed in hunting heavy cover, even a large bull elk can be dropped with one shot.

If I were to pick up a new hunting rifle today, it would either be a controlled feed Model 70 or a Kimber 8400 Montana. The 70 Extreme Weather comes in a few hundred cheaper than the 8400 Montana though.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Welcome aboard.
Let's see some pics.
We all like eye candy.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 522

The model 70 is one of the best rifles ever made,you can't go wrong there. On the cal choice,just get a plain'o 300 WM not that 300WSM,in my opinion. Other than a few ounces of weight savings between a short & long action receiver,there is no advantage for the short magnums. If you already have a gun in that cal,then fine,but if not don't waste your money for nothing extra. And those little short magnum shells cost a whole lot more than the standard round.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
The model 70 is one of the best rifles ever made,you can't go wrong there. On the cal choice,just get a plain'o 300 WM not that 300WSM,in my opinion. Other than a few ounces of weight savings between a short & long action receiver,there is no advantage for the short magnums. If you already have a gun in that cal,then fine,but if not don't waste your money for nothing extra. And those little short magnum shells cost a whole lot more than the standard round.
That's a good point, the WSM and the WSSM cartridges cost more and they are harder on barrel life.

Good catch Tx - Thanks for the backup...

JD

Old 01-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I can't help but wonder why people want to go for cannon ammo when they select a hunting rifle. You're shooting big game, not helicopters. Anything larger than .308 or 30-06 is going to tear up a lot of meat if the shot is only a few inches off.

For deer and elk a .270 or .308 is perfect.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #9

Eh, depends on where they hunt. Plus hunters are, well, a bit of a different breed.

We do a lot of magnum action "hunting" sticks that have to come in at 9 or 11,12 pounds ( dressed out with optics and sling ) because they plan on packing it in somewhere deep in the toolies where the "Big Ones" roam.

I know several guys who think one big round equals not having to chase down an animal that is probably in MUCH better shape than they are...LOL

I would agree with your assessment unless I was building an Alaskan Hunt weapon - then bigger is definitely warranted.

JD

Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Eh, depends on where they hunt. Plus hunters are, well, a bit of a different breed.

We do a lot of magnum action "hunting" sticks that have to come in at 9 or 11,12 pounds ( dressed out with optics and sling ) because they plan on packing it in somewhere deep in the toolies where the "Big Ones" roam.

I know several guys who think one big round equals not having to chase down an animal that is probably in MUCH better shape than they are...LOL

I would agree with your assessment unless I was building an Alaskan Hunt weapon - then bigger is definitely warranted.

JD
The way was taught to hunt was through stalking and the use of open sights. It has always worked for me too. Anything greater than a 50 yard shot is desperation.

I've always hunted heavily wooded areas also. This makes anything more than a 50 yard shot really improbable. It also makes stalking a little easier as the foliage has a tendency to mask sounds and smells and makes your movements less obvious to the animal.

Because of these factors, optics and large, magnum calibers are hindrance. Good stalking skills, solid marksmanship and knowledge of the game is key.

Roger Waters