Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Rifle Discussion (
-   -   Model 70 question (

elknut 01-13-2012 01:14 AM

Model 70 question
I Have a Winchester Mode 70 in 7mm rem mag. It was made in 1974 and is not an XTR but has the same fancy walnut stock with for end tip and grip cap with white spacers as the post 1985 XTR's. I was wondering what the style was called prior to the XTR release in 1985. I would appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks.

Sniper03 01-13-2012 03:11 AM


I believe I am correct that the Winchester Model 70 1974 Model rifle you are speaking about is called the Model 70 Standard Grade. Before 1972 this same rifle was called the Model 70 Deluxe. Why they changed the name from Deluxe to Standard I do not know! It is a fine looking rifle and to me compared to the ones produced today it certainly would be worthy of the word Deluxe!


elknut 01-13-2012 03:56 AM

That's about what I was able to find as well. They started to call it the XTR in 1985, but that was for all models with the extra fine finish regardless if it was a standard or featherweight. Confusing to say the least. I think all the bs about push feed action was clouding their brain a little, funny Remington model 700's were the main competition and they never had controlled round feed. But that's a whole other bucket of worms. Oh well it's a beauty and is deadly accurate, that's what matters most in the end anyway. Thanks for the feedback.

elknut 01-13-2012 04:04 AM

I also have a Winchester Model 94 XTR Bigbore in 307 that I bought in 1985 the first year they came out and used it for guiding in Northern B.C. It's also accurate as hell and has good knock down power, I've shot from beaver to moose to elk and grizzly with it no problem.

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:22 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.