Model 1873 Winchester (Requested thread)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Model 1873 Winchester (Requested thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 01:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Model 1873 Winchester (Requested thread)

These are pictures of my Model 1873 Winchester. It is a standard sporting rifle with 24 inch octogon barrel and full length magazine. It is .38 WCF (.38-40) caliber. It has a cavity in the butt stock for a cleaning rod. Per letter from Winchester, it was shipped from the factory on Nov.7, 1891.

It was passed down to me from my father. He bought it about 1930 when he was about 18. A cousin had bought it and paid $8 for it. He got in a tight for money and sold it to Dad for $5. The cousin tried for decades afterward to buy it back but Dad would not sell it. Incidently that $5 was almost a weeks pay for Dad. He was making 15 cents an hour working on a highway building crew.

During almost the first century of its life it received no special treatment. It was a working gun. I remember as a kid growing up on the farm that it just stood in the corner with the rest of the guns. It was used whenever needed for whatever needed. I wish I knew the story of its first 40 years of life, but as I said, I don't pick up its story until about 1930.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Here are three more pictures. It would only let me put four in the first post.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If only it could talk. Thanks for the pics and the information and thanks for preserving a little piece of history, both for your family and the rest of us.

BTW, the tiger striping on the stock is beautiful.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

That is a beautiful 1873,and thanks for telling about it's history in your family.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #5

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 788

Thanks Win73...
My Winchester 1895 was a old ranch rifle I found in pieces when I inherited my dads collection... Ive been trying to find out the history on it though identifying the brand burned into the stock, but to no avail...

Ive come to the realization that the gun is older than the state of Arizona, and if it originally came from AZ, it was still a territory and records may be hard to find...

Man, I wish these old guns could talk!!!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

That's a great piece of American Heritage!

Guns with that providence can not be assigned a monetary value.

I know, I have a few and they are priceless!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #7

Great rifle.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Man, I wish these old guns could talk!!!
Trez, I agree with you 100%! I would love to know what my '73 was doing during those 40 years of its life before I picked up its story. It could have just been standing in someone else's corner. But I doubt it. That period from 1891 to 1930 was still pretty rough in some parts of the country.

And wouldn't it be wonderful if I could tie it to Cousin Wes (John Wesley Hardin, he was my third cousin, four times removed). Time wise it is possible. The '73 was made in 1891, Hardin was killed in 1895.

Or even if I could tie it to my outlaw inlaw, Ed O'Kelley (I'm related to him by marriage, not blood), that killed Bob Ford. That would be less of a stretch than Hardin. O'Kelley wasn't killed until 1904 and he spent part of his life in the same area where I grew up. In fact, one of O'Kelley's brothers was still alive when I was a kid.

The very last activity that my '73 engaged in was four years ago. I shot a deer with it. A good friend and I followed that deer's heavy blood trail for over 500 yards before we lost it. We looked for over two hours but could not find the deer. I hated to lose it for two reasons. First I just hate to lose a wounded animal and second because I really wanted to bag a deer with the old '73.