Mobile gun safe?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mobile gun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Mobile gun safe?

I own a pretty large SUV and i was thinking (its an old beater so i dont mind making hack n slash "modifications" to it. My problem is that I do a lot of transporting of firearms (mostly long guns (AR's and stuff like that) for a side job, sometimes I stop to get a bite to eat on lunch but i end up having to hit the crappy fast food places because I'm afraid to leave my truck in a parking lot full of weapons (even locked its a huge weight on my conscience) So i want to install (weld) a gun safe into the back of my truck. Has anyone heard of anyone doing this or have any ideas about it? (positive or negative feedback is fine) and since i live in the amazing state of NY does anyone know if the local law enforcement would have any kind of problem with this for some weird New Yorky reason.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Get a bolted down tool chest like most construction workers have. It won't stick out at all, add a nice lock to it and your good to go. And I'm sure local law enforcement would prefer that you have something to lock them up in.
You could even go as far as adding one of those sliding covers that go over the bed of the truck as an additional cover for the chest. I've seen some nice ones that are like those rolling metal doors on liquor stores.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Its an SUV so i dont worry about it being exposed that much i just dont like having gun cases in the truck because in buffalo NY thats like begging someone to break into your vehicle thats why i wanna just take one of my spare gun safes (i sold a bunch of my older rifles so i dont need it anymore and just weld that into my SUV

Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM3TenraiSS
I own a pretty large SUV and i was thinking (its an old beater so i dont mind making hack n slash "modifications" to it. My problem is that I do a lot of transporting of firearms (mostly long guns (AR's and stuff like that) for a side job, sometimes I stop to get a bite to eat on lunch but i end up having to hit the crappy fast food places because I'm afraid to leave my truck in a parking lot full of weapons (even locked its a huge weight on my conscience) So i want to install (weld) a gun safe into the back of my TRUCK!!!'. Has anyone heard of anyone doing this or have any ideas about it? (positive or negative feedback is fine) and since i live in the amazing state of NY does anyone know if the local law enforcement would have any kind of problem with this for some weird New Yorky reason.
My bad I read truck lol
Really though I didn't think suv, in that case I would go for it. I would think of maybe lining the outside of it with carpet about the same color as your interior so it blends in a little better and doesn't look like a giant steel box in the back of rig.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoooth308 View Post
My bad I read truck lol
Really though I didn't think suv, in that case I would go for it. I would think of maybe lining the outside of it with carpet about the same color as your interior so it blends in a little better and doesn't look like a giant steel box in the back of rig.
and that kinda advice is EXACTLY why i come here common sense ideas that i wouldnt think of in a million and a half years

Old 03-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #6

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

Are you putting the safe in the vehicle in a standing position? You will need to find a way to keep the rifles from shifting around in there or they will beat the hell out of eachother. If you lay the safe down on its side you might be able to use the shaped parts where the rifles normally lean as a place to rest them, but won't be able to transport as many weapons.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm gonna lay it down flat and i have a bar that lockes them into individual barrel notches so they cant bound around anywhere except in their padded specific grooves

Last edited by TM3TenraiSS; 03-24-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I usually only move 7 or 8 at a time and i do it about 3 times a week

Old 03-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like you got it figured out now man. Would love to see some pics of it when your done

Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Will do, I'm taking measurements for it right now and I'm thinking of bolting instead of welding so when my vehicle does die I can take it out