MOA definition and precision rifle - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > MOA definition and precision rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 11:37 PM   #11
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Your rifle might not like shooting that bullet. If you can try some different,and maybe some lighter match grade bullets,it might wake up for you.
I don't shoot factory ammo out of my rifles,I handload for each one,and I can find out just what each one likes to shoot.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

gunnut07 Likes This 
Old 12-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #12

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

What size groups are you getting? Do you shoot prone with the bipod? Do you shoot any better with any other rifle? Have you tried any different loads?

There is some technique in prone shooting, as well as in shooting with a bipod. Every pressure point or contact point with the rifle has to be the same from shot to shot. Tension against the bipod, breathing, cheek weld, eye distance to the scope etc. Also each rifle may have its own ammo preference. Differences in groups from 3" bests to 1" bests have been seen personally, just in a change in factory loadings. Improvements to under an inch with handloads have been seen after that.

Old 12-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #13

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Try some Federal 150 gr psp. I have the same rifles, with a Millett 4x16 scope and it shoots 3/8" groups at 100 yds consistently in 308

Old 12-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2042 Times on 1069 Posts
Likes Given: 392

How long are you waiting between shots? What is the best grouping you have ever achieved with ANY rifle?

Old 12-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #15

Liked 146 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkhunter View Post
Try some Federal 150 gr psp. I have the same rifles, with a Millett 4x16 scope and it shoots 3/8" groups at 100 yds consistently in 308
If he isn't getting good groups with Federal Gold Medal Match, I doubt that the cheaper deer hunting loads will do better. Either improvement in technique, or work up a hand load with a Match bullet, or both.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibil View Post
Thank you, what happen if I have a rifle (a Rem 700 police) that is not shooting 1 MOA from benchrest should I consider other options than mechanical that provoke inaccurate shooting?
have someone else who is normally a good shot shoot it. that rules out user error. when i have issues with a rifle i find someone willing to shoot the thing. this rules out me having a bad day or a series of bad days and blaming the tools.

check to make sure the stock isnt touching the barrel take a piece of paper and slide it around the barrel then have someone run it up and down the barrel WHILE you are in a normal firing position doing what you would normal be doing with the normal amount of pressure on the rifle.

if it is binding while in firing position but not while its just sitting there the stock is an issue, maybe not the only one. remington isnt known for good stocks.

second. are the action screws torqued evenly and to about about 50-60 inch pounds?? if not or you dont know you need a wheeler FAT wrench for properly torquing action screws. most rifle companies dont bother torquing and just slap the screws in so the pieces look like a rifle.

is the scope mounted properly and torqued to spec?? including the bases?? see above. if you diy'd it without using a inch pound torque wrench or dont know 100% for sure the smith who installed it did, its not.

1-12" twist will shoot 168bthp fine so its liekly one of the things above.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #17

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
have someone else who is normally a good shot shoot it. that rules out user error. when i have issues with a rifle i find someone willing to shoot the thing. this rules out me having a bad day or a series of bad days and blaming the tools.
This I agree with.

Quote:
check to make sure the stock isnt touching the barrel take a piece of paper and slide it around the barrel then have someone run it up and down the barrel WHILE you are in a normal firing position doing what you would normal be doing with the normal amount of pressure on the rifle.
Many times Remington puts pressure pads at the end of the stock. I know my VLS, VSSF, and a few others all have them.

Quote:
if it is binding while in firing position but not while its just sitting there the stock is an issue, maybe not the only one. remington isnt known for good stocks.
If this is the police model it has a H-S Precision stock on it. They are a quality stock even if they are backed up by a child murderer.

Quote:
second. are the action screws torqued evenly and to about about 50-60 inch pounds?? if not or you dont know you need a wheeler FAT wrench for properly torquing action screws. most rifle companies dont bother torquing and just slap the screws in so the pieces look like a rifle.
This is also something I agree with.

Quote:
is the scope mounted properly and torqued to spec?? including the bases?? see above. if you diy'd it without using a inch pound torque wrench or dont know 100% for sure the smith who installed it did, its not.
apples and oranges for me. I mount many of my own scopes. You don't need to be a gunsmith to mount a scope. I would be more worried about the mounts. Is it a one piece or a 2 piece? It looks from the picture that you have a 1 piece rail. What make is the rail?

I prefer Badger Ord for my rails. I also like their rings I will also use Leupold Mk4 rings.

Quote:
1-12" twist will shoot 168bthp fine so its liekly one of the things above.
168 to 175gr should shoot good.

One thing that I see right now is that you have a HUGE scope is there any part of the scope touching the rifle other than the rings? It looks really close to the barrel. Also you have the benchrest Nightforce. They are not nearly as tough as the NSX scopes. What power are you using when shooting? at 32x even a slight amount of heat can cause heat waves in the scope making it hard to be precise in your shot placement.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:00 AM   #18

Quote:
What size groups are you getting? Do you shoot prone with the bipod? Do you shoot any better with any other rifle? Have you tried any different loads?
At the beginning I was getting no more than 1.5 from center but I notice that I have shot like 500+ bullet with the rifle and is shooting worse, like bullet can be 5 inches apart from center and then shoot another bullet 1/4in from center. I still have all the cases. I shoot prone when I am 300yd and 600yd and I get good result from it. Here in Puerto Rico I have limited options of match ammo the only match ammo I can find is the federal.

Quote:
How long are you waiting between shots? What is the best grouping you have ever achieved with ANY rifle?
I don't know how long I take between shots but I take my time to shoot each bullet. That the only high power rifle I have.

Quote:

The gunsmith that sell me the rifle also screw it the rings with his instruments I think he screw it with 60 inch-pound. The base ring is one piece.

Quote:
One thing that I see right now is that you have a HUGE scope is there any part of the scope touching the rifle other than the rings? It looks really close to the barrel. Also you have the benchrest Nightforce. They are not nearly as tough as the NSX scopes.
The scope does not touch the barrel is like 3/8 inch from the barrel.

When I shoot in prone the precision is acceptable but in benchrest is horrible.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1970 Times on 1366 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
When I shoot in prone the precision is acceptable but in benchrest is horrible.
That's a strong case for an operator error.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:41 AM   #20

Liked 2505 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

In simple terms, at 100 paces, if you can put the shots on target,

and cover them with a quarter, that's @ MOA.

As to rifle issues, apparently the rifle barrel must

be lightly fouled, in most cases, for optimum accuracy.

Accuracy starts to degrade with a lead or copper-washed

barrel.

What is your cleaning paradigm? Have you noticed any increase

in muzzle blast, recently? At 350+ shots, depending on the cleaning process,

you could have a copper-fouled barrel.

Last edited by therewolf; 12-13-2013 at 01:46 AM.