Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > MOA definition and precision rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default MOA definition and precision rifle

When the rifle says 1 MOA precision means 1" of diameter where you are targeting or 1" of radius(2" diameter) where you are targeting from 100 yds?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Liked 1733 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 366

To keep it simple, it means the repeatable mechanical precision should mean points of impact 1" apart from the center of the impact to the next center of impact.

If a rifle shot a 1 MOA group at 100 meters the centers of all of the holes would be no further apart than 1" away from the center of any other hole.

At 200 meters they would be no further than 2" apart from center to center. At 50 meters, no further than 1/2" from center to center.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #3

Thank you, what happen if I have a rifle (a Rem 700 police) that is not shooting 1 MOA from benchrest should I consider other options than mechanical that provoke inaccurate shooting?

Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 992 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 440

There are so many variables as to why your rifle didn't shoot moa. The scope/rings/base/stock/ammo shot/and of coarse the shooter. You also have to account for the type of rest your shooting off of.
If the ammo that your shooting is a known moa or better shooting ammo from your rifle,then you can start subtracting things as the root cause. Check the scope rings and bases for correct torque settings,make sure your scope is good,scopes can go bad all of a sudden especially if they are of low quality. Check the torque settings on your action screws.
If everything with the rifle/ammo are good,it will come down to either the style/type of rest your shooting from,or just plain shooter error.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

c3shooter Likes This 
Old 12-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #5

Liked 1733 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Tex, gave some good explanations. Just start ticking off different variables that he listed.

Also, was the rifle pre-owned? How many rounds through it? Has the bore been cleaned with a copper solvent if its had a high round count? Any visible damage at the crown of the muzzle? Action/mounting screws torqued properly? Barrel still floated properly? Action bedding still good?

What ammo were you shooting?

How experienced are you at rifle shooting? Do you shoot MOA with other rifles? With the same ammo?

But he's definitely spot on about checking the scope and mounts and rings as one of the first things. Many a scope that was improperly mounted or just plain broke or junk, has accounted for a rifle that won't shoot tight groups.

I had an old milsurp rifle with a stock that was cracked behind the front action mounting screw. Shot something on the order of 10-12" patterns at 100 yds. After fixing the stock it was down to 2-3" groups. Pretty good for a rifle with as ugly of a bore as this one had.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress and what you find out.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 622 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibil View Post
Thank you, what happen if I have a rifle (a Rem 700 police) that is not shooting 1 MOA from benchrest should I consider other options than mechanical that provoke inaccurate shooting?
You need a heavyweight vise, not just any benchrest, to rule out mechanical imprecision. There are many variables other than the shooter, including barrel heating up, fouling, and of course the ammo. Just don't get too hung up on group sizes. The first (and maybe second) shot accuracy may be a better measure. Jeff Cooper, I think, wrote about that.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #7

Liked 104 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibil View Post
Sibil, a heavy barrel Remington, with a decent scope, good ammo and someone that can shoot, should do 1/2 MOA or slightly better. This is a group from my Rem. SPS varmint .308 with one of the first handloads I tried in it. 5 shots at 100 yards, I pulled one out of the group. The SPS is a cheaper version of the Police ( cheaper stock). And another forum members group, same SPS Varmint in .308, but he had put a laminated stock on it and was shooting factory loads, Federal Gold Medal Match. He also pulled one out or they would have all been touching. Just find some ammo your rifle shoots good with and practice a lot.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #8

This is my rifle:
Rem700 Police, no trigger job, 1-12" twist
Leupold Rings
Nightforce Scope 8-32x56 Benchrest
Bench rest Harris Bipod 6"-9"

Rear Bag: Edgewood

Solvents:
Sweets 7.62 solvent first then I use Batch Bore Shine solvent at the end I use Kroil.

Bullets:
Sierra Matchking BTHP Gold Medal Match 168 grains

I have tried to buy the best for the rifle. But cant find the best precision for it.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:02 PM   #9

I bought the rifle new. I have shoots like 350+ bullets.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #10

This is a old pic. Before I bought the edgewood.