You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Moa

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 259 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
Ha. Took me a minute. I'm not firing on all four cylinders today.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #12

Liked 247 Times on 184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I love when stuff like this doesn't come up in my searches. Swear this search function hates me lol

Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #13

Liked 1614 Times on 904 Posts
Likes Given: 741

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Keep in mind that the mil dots will only be accurate at one power setting, usually but not always 10X, and all calculations have to be based on that one setting.
That isn't true.
On a First Focal Plane scope,the mil dots measurement value remains the same through out the entire magnification range.
And,you can use several different magnifications on most Second Focal Plane scopes if you are good at math,or make range cards with the particular measurement spec for the mil dots at a given magnification.
I can use 6/8/10/12/16/18/20/22 or 24 power to range with my Sightron SIII scopes,but each power uses a different measurement between the mil dots.

The main thing about choosing a mil dot style scope is you need to match the Turrets with the Reticle. You need either a Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA turret/reticle scope to really use the scope for ranging.
Most lower tier scopes don't offer a matched turret/reticle set-up,they have MOA turret marks,and use a Milliradian reticle.
That makes it harder to calculate the distance/scope adjustments for long range shots.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly

That isn't true.
On a First Focal Plane scope,the mil dots measurement value remains the same through out the entire magnification range.
And,you can use several different magnifications on most Second Focal Plane scopes if you are good at math,or make range cards with the particular measurement spec for the mil dots at a given magnification.
I can use 6/8/10/12/16/18/20/22 or 24 power to range with my Sightron SIII scopes,but each power uses a different measurement between the mil dots.

The main thing about choosing a mil dot style scope is you need to match the Turrets with the Reticle. You need either a Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA turret/reticle scope to really use the scope for ranging.
Most lower tier scopes don't offer a matched turret/reticle set-up,they have MOA turret marks,and use a Milliradian reticle.
That makes it harder to calculate the distance/scope adjustments for long range shots.
What are some good scopes with the mil dots or the moa dots for someone just starting out in long range shooting? I'd really like something that locks and unlocks an easy adjust turret unlike the ones I have that require a coin or screw driver

Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 AM   #15

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

DO NOT use hold over...........know your rifle/load combo ballistics and DIAL in your scope adjustments to compensate for target distance

Old 01-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762
DO NOT use hold over...........know your rifle/load combo ballistics and DIAL in your scope adjustments to compensate for target distance
A lot of why I wanted one with turrets that adjust so easily

Old 01-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #17

Quote:
I think some of that is personal preference. If you have the time to twist dials and all that jazz, that's one thing. I know a guy that was doing holds on a cloud to hit targets on the side of a mountain. It's not like one is better than the other.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 AM   #18

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

i was taught to make the FIRST round count.............there may not be a chance for a second

Old 01-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #19

Quote:
i was taught to make the FIRST round count.............there may not be a chance for a second
Yeah ... and? So a hold is less accurate how?

Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #20

Even though I prefer to dial in as well, I don't see how a hold is less accurate. If you know your load and your holds/ adjustments, it's user error if you miss either way.