Mitchell's Mausers, American Rifleman latest issue
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mitchell's Mausers, American Rifleman latest issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Mitchell's Mausers, American Rifleman latest issue

Glanced through an article that got me all hot and bothered, it appeared in the latest American Rifleman magazine that was just dropped off at my door a few minutes ago...

Apparently, Mitchell's Mausers is looking to spearhead a project to make NEW K98's. They have determined that the supply will never catch up to demand, and are therefor looking at building new ones on modern equipment, to the exact specifications of the originals.

Now I know some people don't really care for Mitchell's Mausers, and some have had some bad experiences with them, the biggest complaint I hear is of people being misled as to the condition of the rifles that they are ordering.

Does anyone else besides me think that this is a great idea, assuming it's executed properly? I for one have been writing letters to Ford Motor Company since 2004 begging them to bring back the 64 1/2 Mustang with modern equipment, but they won't listen to me (you know they still have the blueprints)

I also think that it would be totally awesome to bring back the 1903 Springfield.

These retro trendy products seem to be gaining steam over the past few years, the Liberator pistol has been talked about (if not put into production) as a new build, Ford is throwing more retro styling into their Mustangs (albeit not to my satisfaction, but I think they will one day), Springfield is still making the M1A, they reintroduced the M1 Garand for a short while, Winchester is getting back to their roots to an extent with the new model 70... I even saw a rotary telephone a few days ago...

What do y'all think? Bring back the retro rifles as a new manufacture? Opinions? I think it's a great idea, I want to see more of it. I know there are some repro companies that do pretty good work (Uberti, Pietta) but they seem to be missing a very important time frame I think, seems to be about a 20-40 year window of history that has been completely overlooked.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5688 Times on 2972 Posts
Likes Given: 378

there are some guns i would love to have in new modern materials. 1903 springfield m1 garand mosin 91-30 to name a couple. but i dont think mitchel mauser with their tendency to scamming people would be one of the ones i would buy.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Yeah i think its great. Unlike certain other older products guns still have a use in the modern world. A k98 and an M1 Garand are both on my list of rifles id like to own, but havent got them yet because of the supply and demand thing. They simply cost too much right now and my budget wont allow it yet I love new guns/designs but im also a history buff so i like the older weapons too.

As far as mitchell's is concerned, ive never done any business with them so i cant speculate on that.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 AM   #4

Browning did some modern remakes of the Winchester Model 12 and Model 42 shotguns a few years ago. I'm not sure if they are still making them though. The ones I have seen are really nice.
cottontop

Old 01-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The Mdl. 70 Winchesters are made by FN. The Winchester 85,86.92,94 etc. are made in Japan. It is strange Browning and Winchesters are made in the most antigun country in the world Japan. Japan gives the antigun movement in the USA more than anyone except George Sorroes. Do I buy guns made in Japan "Hell No". Why would anyone want a copy of a Kahr 98 Mauser? There are still tons of orginal ones for sale. The old ones will increase in value.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 806 Posts
Likes Given: 2524

I love the thought of making some of the old guns again, but I don't think it'll work? Replicas are rarely made with the same quality as the originals due to cost. I wouldn't even try to guess what an M1 Garand made as well as the originals would cost? The M1A is pretty expensive as is and it's not made as well as the original. It's close but they still took some short cuts and those short cuts keep it from costing more than it does, which is already a lot.

A K98 made as well as the original would cost considerably more than any production bolt action on the market (the sights alone probably require machining than any of the bolt actions on the market today). I can't imagine many people paying that much for a K98 when they could buy 3 or 4 Savages for the same price. I'm guessing that Mitchell's can't imagine that either and so they'll probably take short cuts as well. Those short cuts will result in an inferior gun just like most of the other replicas. But I hope I'm wrong!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #7

The one in the magazine is 699, made in serbia, and pretty damn sharp.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 AM   #8

here we go....

forumrunner_20120121_233424.jpg

Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #9

Liked 2506 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

I guess the real question is, can we trust Mitchell's Mausers,

with their spotty reputation, to do a solid, quality, German build

using top grade steel and other materials?

I guess time will tell. This is probably a good time for MM, as a company

to have a serious gut-check, because if these retro-repros are

a flop, it could spell a lot of difficulty for the company's future...

Old 01-22-2012, 03:09 PM   #10

Looking at the article again, it looked like Mitchell's isn't actually building the guns, but have contracted a Serbian maker to do it.

I really need to sure down and read this and give you guys some more info.