Minigun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Minigun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Minigun

Ok so I was just wondering, is the minigun real?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Sure it is... I took these pics of it working at night, in northern I Corps in 1967....

puff1.jpg   puff2.jpg  

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

yep during name they mounted some on the sides of C47 for ground support, the cobra gunship has one mounted on front that points where ever the gunner looks. I know some black hawk (if not most) have them mounted next to the door. Also they're tons of videos on the internet of them firing, mythbusters even had a thing where they fired one off the top of a humvee if I remember correctly.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eattheham View Post
Ok so I was just wondering, is the minigun real?
Real how? I've fired tens of thousands of rounds out of one. The nose turret in the old G-model Cobras that I flew had a 7.62 caliber minigun that would fire 4,000 rounds per minute and the ammo drum would hold 4,000 rounds. Every sixth round was a tracer. While it looked like the tracers were about an inch apart while firing there were actually five standard rounds between each tracer. Firing over water where you could see each impact was truely an awesome sight.

Now of course there are miniguns mounted on almost every type of vehicle and aircraft. The man carried version with the backpack of ammo is purely a Hollywood fantasy due to the power requirements and the weight of the ammo that would be needed. An average man could only carry a couple of seconds of ammo in a backpack.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I was always told that they could cover every square inch of a football field with a round

Old 02-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

There are two different firearms called the mini gun.

One is a minature revolver made in Switzerland. Yes, it is real. It is not the first- people that have the skills of a jeweler have built miniature working firearms for over a century. You will not find the Swiss mini-revolver in the US- the 1968 Gun Control Act bars the import of certain firearms that do not meet a mnimum weight/ size limit.

The other mini that the folks are referring to is a powered Gatling gun. rate of fire varies depending on the gun, but can run as high as 6,000 rounds per minute. A small version was in the movie "Predator". The LARGE version is the size of a Volkwagen Bettle, and is carried by the A-10 Warthog- fires a 30mm diameter shell. Smaller versions are on the AC-130 Spectre gunships (the sons of the AC-47 "Puff the Magic Dragon" aircraft) and the smallest are the side gunners weapons on Huey and BlackHawk helicopters.

This is the version used for heavy traffic in Los Angeles-

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2729 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Many people refer to all electrically operated, multi barrel machineguns/cannons as "mini-guns". IIRC the 7.62 X 51 verssion is called a minigun. There is also a GE six pack that is 5.56mm (the movie Predator). A 20 mm version and the 30 mm in the belly of the A-10 Thunderbolt. Probably a few other caliber options out there.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

In addition to the 7.62 caliber version in the nose of the Cobra helicopter, I also had one of these on the wing for a while in 20mm. Worked great against enemy armor.

vulcan_02.jpg  

Old 02-24-2012, 12:18 AM   #9

Liked 1077 Times on 780 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Yea man i picked one up from the last show and got video remote car mounted tripod for it too , fit s nice in the back of my tahoe . I could have put it out the roof but picking the casings up is a pain , but in the back of the tahoe , they all stay inside so i can reload them later .. But mine is chambered in the 338 lapua so its a bit more accurate

Danger is real , Fear is a option

Omnem dimittite spem, o vos intrantes
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in their lifetime.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2123 Times on 1151 Posts
Likes Given: 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Real how? I've fired tens of thousands of rounds out of one. The nose turret in the old G-model Cobras that I flew had a 7.62 caliber minigun that would fire 4,000 rounds per minute and the ammo drum would hold 4,000 rounds. Every sixth round was a tracer. While it looked like the tracers were about an inch apart while firing there were actually five standard rounds between each tracer. Firing over water where you could see each impact was truely an awesome sight.

Now of course there are miniguns mounted on almost every type of vehicle and aircraft. The man carried version with the backpack of ammo is purely a Hollywood fantasy due to the power requirements and the weight of the ammo that would be needed. An average man could only carry a couple of seconds of ammo in a backpack.

Still gives me goosebumps to think you can get paid to do that.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA