Mini14 or AR-15?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mini14 or AR-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2015, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Mini14 or AR-15?

I have had this question posed to me recently and I couldn't truly answer it. Other than break down and cleaning is there a clear front runner? What do the Guru's of FTF think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2015, 02:51 AM   #2

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Uh...I don't think there is an answer. I will say that there are a lot of cadillac safe-queen type ARs that I would be afraid to abuse, and I have owned them and sold them. There isn't a mini-14 around that would be too nice to take into the woods. And I do own minis.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:17 AM   #3

Liked 530 Times on 314 Posts

I like both. Really a matter of personal preference. They are both great guns. Each has their strengths and weaknesses.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2015, 04:37 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 56

I love both; however me heart belongs to the mini child of the M1...suppose of its linage appearance to its bigger brother. That being said though, in the department of accuracy the AR rules well over the mini.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:43 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3390 Times on 1941 Posts
Likes Given: 1457

Ford versus Chevy.

Years ago, the Chevy was tops because of "ease of maintenance". But Fords were good in their own ways.

Mini-14 versus AR? Well, the AR has a lot going for it with the aftermarket parts and familiarity of former and current military, but the mini-14 seems to have its followers.

But this is one argument I do not have a preference for either.

Gimme something that is in the .30 caliber family.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
McX358 Likes This 
Old 02-20-2015, 06:09 AM   #6

Liked 287 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The AR seems to be the choice, that is what a few Alaskans thought for wolf hunting, after many hours slung across a hunters torso in temperatures below Zero snowmobiling hundred miles or so in an outing, one thing folks observed was the fellows carrying the Ruger mini 14 came home with more wolves than the hunters carrying the AR-15, the AR worked great the first 5-6 shots but given time of intervals between shots the AR could not function when needed.
after several outings, web surfing and forum quiries they tried different ploys at getting it to work in cold, the hard core AR fans will do a field strip & clean several times during the hunt, the Mini carriers clean theirs when they get home.

if your in the 48 contiguous states and your not in any harsh environment the AR should be ok, but bear in mind they arnt as prone to working in snow and cold unless your your a soldier boy with a support structure to make it work Okey Dokie.
File Type: jpeg images-18.jpeg (5.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpeg images-27.jpeg (9.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpeg images-16.jpeg (5.0 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 02-20-2015 at 07:36 PM.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 56

The #1 reason my two AR platform at the moment are .308 WCF & a .358 process; however the love of my life is my M1-Garand and its son the M1A1

Old 02-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I don't happen to own either the Mini or the AR. I have always been able to make either a shot gun or a .30-06 do the job for me. That's not to say that I wouldn't buy one of these. Truth is that I would love to own both. I've shot both and don't know which one I would own first.
I had a customer ask which one to get for his son and for every pro of the AR there was a pro for the Mini and vise versa. So I thought maybe y'all might know something that would sway an opinion. If you go to the LGS it's all about the AR, but I don't always have the highest confidence in what they tell me, especially when they only have an AR to offer for sale. Just wanting to give the best advice I can, so I came to ask those who know more than I do. Thanks y'all.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #9

Liked 196 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 117

The AR has the advantage in parts availability and the ability to change calibers and configurations quickly. And the AR's are generally more accurate, but this is only if you do all your shooting from a bench. Real world accuracy, as in shooting from field positions, the gap narrows and the Mini would get you hits just as well. Also there are many good companies manufacturing magazines for the AR, for the Mini, only one and that is Ruger. The AR can be cleaned from the breech with a rod while the Mini can not, you will have to use a pull through to clean the Mini form the rear. Despite all those points, I prefer the Mini, the looks feel and handling are excellent. I like how the Mini keeps the iron sights and optic low to the bore rather than the straight stock and jacked up sighting on the AR. The Mini runs cleaner keeping the fouling down in the gas block area, and will longer without cleaning than the AR that blows the fouling into the action. Yes, there are Piston AR's now but not as common as yet, and they have a couple drawbacks. I have had AR's since the 70's but just can't get too excited about them. They come and go, but I will always have a Mini.

People Like This 
Old 02-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have a couple AR's and I built both of them and am pretty partial to them. I have never fired or held a mini but it will be the next rifle in my collection. Ive always loved the classic look to them. I will for sure be buying one in the near future.
McX358 Likes This