Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mini thirty - Next purchase ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 03:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Mini thirty - Next purchase ??

Any one here owned a mini thirty, or in the past, and did you like it? I owned a mini 14 at one time and really enjoyed it. Was able to kill a big ole feral sow with it once. Due to Uncle Sam at tax time one year, had to part with it and about a dozen of its friends at a local gun auction.
I got caught up in the past with the Clinton adminstration and layed away a lifetime supply of 7.62X39 and need to get it out and play with it. Do have SKS's and Mac90, but like the fit and finish of the Rugers.
Not looking for a tack driver, just a plinking gun and maybe a unlucky varmit. Any sugestions a a reasonable price red dot? Also does a manufacture make 20 or 30 round mags for a thirty? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The Mini-30 is great, but finding good full cap mags is tough. I'm sure there is plenty of info about decent mags on A Perfect Union, the Mini forum.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #3

i love my mini 30, havent done any after market mods on it yet though. i have found some 10 round mags from triple k. other than that, EVERY other mag i have found online has neg feedback.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have searched MSN & Google reading about the Mini-30's reveiws and discussion boards. Some warnings out in cyber land about using foreign surplus ammo in mini-30's. Well that is what I have, and wanted to run through a mini-30. Myself I cannot see what harm it would cause with a decent cleaning after each use (that is habit for me other than rim fires). I'am I off base on this, plus the accuracy issue of this ammo. The ammo runs good thru SKS'S and AK style of gun, and has been pretty darn accurate plinking offhand. Don't want to burn the $$ on a rifle and optics to be disappointed in the rifles performance with my surplus ammo.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thinking out loud here. After research on the net, possible changing gears to looking at a CZ 527 bolt carbine or a Remington 799 bolt, both would fire the 7.62X39. I was looking at the mini 30 as a extra hunting or plinking arm, but looks like one of these bolt actions might work well for me. Once again sitting on a fair amount of surplus ammo, a lot of it is hollow point. soild stuff I can run thru a AK style or SKS. Any one know who has the best trigger action, and overall gun CZ vrs. Remington 799 ? Thanks

Old 05-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #6

The mini-30 should shoot your surplus ammo just fine... my mini-14 rifles shoot wolf and everything else I have tried, no problems

Old 05-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think your right Kaptin. I will switch gears though, and go with a more traditional bolt style hunting rifle. Would be the happy new owner of a CZ 527 carbine if I could just find one. Not having any luck in that department, guess I will have to leave one on back order with a dealer.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:22 AM   #8

My Mini 30 was bought slightly used, is about five years old and I've shot about 1,000(+) rounds through it. Using only Wolf and Monarch, it has had about eight-ten ftfs.

Recently bought two Promag (blued and ss) 10-round mags.
After about 400 rounds, the blued has had only two misfeeds, and after about 200 in the stainless, just one misfeed.

To put it in context, my well-treated Norinco SKS has had at least 1,000+ through it and has had two misfeeds, with no ftfs.
Don't know whether this helps. Due to the adverse publicity about Mini 30s (some owners seldom clean the chambers), I've been quite surprised at the reliability, but unless you just have to own a plinker with the classic US styling, your money will go further with an SKS which has also been treated like an expensive antique.

Last edited by Laufer; 05-17-2009 at 06:10 AM.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:18 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-BOLT View Post
Thinking out loud here. After research on the net, possible changing gears to looking at a CZ 527 bolt carbine or a Remington 799 bolt, both would fire the 7.62X39. I was looking at the mini 30 as a extra hunting or plinking arm, but looks like one of these bolt actions might work well for me. Once again sitting on a fair amount of surplus ammo, a lot of it is hollow point. soild stuff I can run thru a AK style or SKS. Any one know who has the best trigger action, and overall gun CZ vrs. Remington 799 ? Thanks
I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. The trigger is outstanding, especially if you use the set trigger which I only use at the range for sighting in.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glad to hear about the trigger M14sROCK. I do have a CZ 527 Carbine heading my way. Purchased one off of the gun auction co that advertises on this sight. Just waiting for it to show up to my FFL holder. Looking at putting on a Burris 2X7X26 compact scope on it with Millet see thru scope rings. Should be a light compact package. Looks like I have plenty of the commie hollow points to keep me hunting for a long time. This was just to be a back up rifle against high priced ammo, but hell, I am getting excited to get it all put together and using it.