Mini-14 Shortened barrel - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mini-14 Shortened barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 11:42 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I'm not being a wise ass, I just don't understand the cost vs. benefit to a barrel thats only 2" shorter...
Some people have found accuracy improved by shortening the barrel a little. It makes the barrel a little stiffer overall by removing a little weight from the muzzle in the form of a couple of inches of barrel.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
Some people have found accuracy improved by shortening the barrel a little. It makes the barrel a little stiffer overall by removing a little weight from the muzzle in the form of a couple of inches of barrel.
That's interesting. But you also lose anywhere from 100- 300 fps in velocity, whcih isn't much for a gun to be used for CQB.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsfa276 View Post
as im sure you are already aware the m4 has been outlawd for some time here in californa.needless to say the mini-14 being such a venerable design was my second choice
shotenin the barel gives me a tactical advantage in muzzle whip although by adding the muzzlbrake is less. neverthe less i like it and thats all that realy matters right.

in short im tweaking it because i can if i dont like it ill ****can it.
The AR-15 rifle is legal in California if configured to meet the stupid CA laws. I just built the one in the photo. It is all AR-15 components and it complies with all CA gun regulations. If you want more info send me a PM.
100_0604.jpg  

Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsfa276 View Post
Does anyone have any oppinions on shortening and re crowning the barrel on a mini-14 to 16 in. from 18 in.?

thanx,
This place ( Accuracy Systems Inc Custom Gunsmithing AR15 AR10 Ruger Mini 14 )might be of interest to you. They can fine tune the min 14 into a fine minute to sub minute weapon. Its not cheap. They also go over the benifits and advantages of short barrels. They do advertise for long bull barrels to. Another thing to think about is getting a tuneable/ adjustable gassblock. They go over all of it. Hope you like.

SI VIC PACEM PARABELLUM

Old 09-08-2009, 04:51 AM   #15

I'm having good results with the A.S.I extra power recoil spring. I've noticed less recoil and faster cycling with the .050 Gas Port Bushing. I tried the .045 GSP with bad results, for me the .045 was not so good. The ASI extra power Hammer Spring is Also a good investment. After getting the ASI trigger job,shortening the barrel by 2 in. and adding the muzzle brake/flash hider Ive had nothing but good results with low recoil,accurate,fast reliable cycling in (3 to 5 round semi auto bursts) with any ammo.

Ive come to the conclusion that the advantages of the mini-14 being a more reliable weapon out weighs the accuracy advantage of the AR. Because the mini is accurate enough and (Not that need to but if I did) I don't have the time or the gallons of solvent it takes to keep an AR functioning in a dirty grimy environment. Mini-14's has lose tolerances and is a simple design for a reason. (RELIABILITY)

DSFA

picture-016.jpg