Mini 14 accuracy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mini 14 accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Mini 14 accuracy

I have been thinking of getting a new Mini 14 in .223. I have read that the older models weren't all the accurate, with 3 or 4 inch groups being the norm. I have also read that the redesigned mini 14's are much more accurate than previous models. I am not looking for bolt gun type accuracy, but would still like to be able to shoot some reasonable groups. Does anyone have one of the new mini14's and what kind of accuracy are you getting? BTW, I do not use the cheap Russian and Chinese ammo, I handload, so I can tinker with the loads to get the most of it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My 10 year old Mini-14 is a good shooter, with moa accuracy at 75 yards. I've heard horror stories about Mini-14 inaccuracy and according to what I hear, mine seems to be an exception for one of the older guns. I've never actually shot one of the older inaccurate rifles, nor have I ever spoken to anyone who owns one of them. Could be an urban legend, or old wife's tales spread by gun shop commandos for all I know.

The new Mini's are being marketed to give AR rifles some competition.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 02-06-2008, 04:10 AM   #3

My Mini-14 is 21 years old and it seemed to do OK by me. It has been a few years since I've fired it, though. I don't get enough range time anymore.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #4

i havent shot my mini in awhile, but i would be confident in taking 200 yard shots with the iron sights. i really cant comment on any longer ranges though.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default what kind of accuracy...

What kind of accuracy are you expecting? The main problem with the Mini-14 has mainly been the design (mainly barrel design). They have always used such a thin, lightweight barrel which is usually okay for the first couple of shots, but still nothing to brag about. As the barrel got hot, it had a tendency to basically whip around, throwing your shots off. Some have remedied this by adding a muzzle brake/flash hider or barrel stablizer to their guns, which basically stiffened the barrel action a bit, adding more accuracy.

There are a couple companies who do complete Mini-14 make-overs, adding heavier barrels, stablizers, etc. After that, a good trigger job will help, too. It all depends on how much you want to spend to upgrade a Mini. The flip side would be, add up how much it would cost to upgrade to what you want it to be able to do...then compare that cost to an AR-15, which wouldn't cost that much more if any, but would offer you alot more flexibility to upgrade and accurize to some bolt-action accuracy.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #6

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

The main problem with the Mini 14 barrels is not the size. AR-15 barrels come in the same diameter or smaller and don't have the horrible inaccuracy issues that have always plagued the Ruger Mini 14. What causes the problems is the way the gas block is installed on the barrel itself. The method Ruger uses causes the barrel to be bent slightly, or else it induces so much stress on the barrel when it does get hot, bullet impact walks all over the place. Ruger has never addressed this. There solution was a Rube Goldberg sliding barrel weight. You can buy the same thing from Limbsaver for under $17:

http://www.nextag.com/Limbsaver-Barrel-De-Resonator-506941638/prices-html

Instead of paying Ruger even more money for their "Target" version of the same dog with fleas. I like the design and looks of the Mini, I just can't deal with a $600+ dollar gun that is questionable to hit a softball at 100 yards. Bill T.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default some good reading

http://perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34858

Old 02-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I think I may stay away from the Mini 14 for now. There is probably a reason why my local shop has 6 used ones, and no new ones. I will probably go with a good bolt gun, probably Remington or Savage.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you had an itch for a Mini 14,,,, a "good bolt gun" won't scratch it!!!!!!

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #10

Texas DPS dumped their Mini-14's because the troopers could not qualify @ 100 yards with them. No problem with the replacement Bushmaster AR's