Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Milled receivers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Milled receivers

I am a first timer to the world of the assault rifle.
What is the main difference in stamped and milled receiver? Huge price difference For sure.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5104 Times on 2654 Posts
Likes Given: 309

since an "assault rifle" is a fully automatic select fire rifle you cant buy a new one. they are no longer sold to the general public. havent been since reagan signed the gun control act of 1986.

if you mean AR15 which is a semi automatic rifle functionally no different than your grandad's browning deer rifle other than in cosmetic differences and stock choices. it doesnt really matter milled or not in my opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Thanks for that info. Could I purchase a used AK or AR with a milled receiver.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckshop View Post
Thanks for that info. Could I purchase a used AK or AR with a milled receiver.
you can get new ar15 with milled or used ones. all the machine guns of that nature are forged or stamped.

with ak47 its a bit harder to find milled. i think arsenal makes new milled ones.

i dont think there is any benefit to milled vs stamped or forged

why do you want a milled one??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

you can get new ar15 with milled or used ones. all the machine guns of that nature are forged or stamped.

with ak47 its a bit harder to find milled. i think arsenal makes new milled ones.

i dont think there is any benefit to milled vs stamped or forged

why do you want a milled one??
I was thinking maybe it would be more durable or less chance of malfunctioning if it was hand milled. Does this make sense?

Old 07-16-2012, 01:34 AM   #6

Liked 313 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Yes it makes sense. Milled parts are always more desireable than stamped parts (or receivers). Stampings are cheap, and are done just to save money. Milled parts are smoother, function w/ less drag and friction, fit and mesh with other parts more precisely. A gun made w/ stamped parts is cheap, rough, and rattly.
cottontop

Old 07-16-2012, 02:13 AM   #7

Thanks, (Cottontop) that answers my question. When I purchase an AK or AR I will purchase milled. I want to pass a dependable weapon on to my son when I pass on. Who knows, dependable arms is what we must have for one day we may have to defend our country.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

When it comes to the ak world from what i understand the stamped receivers are preferred. But im not an ak expert.

When it comes to aluminum forged or milled doesnt matter . Its the grade and quality of aluminum being used. A milled receiver with fine tolerances and low grade non spec aluminum will not last long. A forged receiver made with milspec grade aluminum will last several lifetimes.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Liked 313 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 536

If a part is being milled, it is because the maker wants quality. They would not mill cheap or inferior metal. They would use quality metal for the quality milled parts. You wouldn't put a Model A engine in a Cadillac.
cottontop

Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5074 Times on 2886 Posts
Likes Given: 4238

The Russians and their allies discontinued milled receivers in the 1950s. The stamped receivers were found to be more than adequate for assault rifles.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.