Military

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Military

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts

Default Military

How does the military decide what type of weapon (SAW, rifle, shotgun) they issue to soldiers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2013, 03:23 AM   #2

Liked 2292 Times on 1345 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter17 View Post
How does the military decide what type of weapon (SAW, rifle, shotgun) they issue to soldiers?
Training and mission.

Squad level and crew served weapons require special training and earned qualification and proficiency. Mission may drive some options at the squad, platoon, company level. Marine Corps has a Weapons company that has Marines specifically trained on SAW, mortars, and heavier support weapons.

Of course there is cross training to ensure others have good working knowledge to get a weapon up and keep it running if your primary operators are no longer capable. At that point the "decision" phase is removed though.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 AM   #3

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Unfortunately, there is money to be made by awarding contracts...

The "official" method goes somewhat like this...
Word is put out that a branch or all branches are looking for a new bang-bang.

Requirements are listed. Caliber, reliability, longevity, ease of maintenance, price range, manufacturing capabilities (meaning they want a ready supply), among other requirements.

Different manufacturers go through the process of entering a product for testing and evaluation. Changes are often made and deals tweaked by the evaluation teams (DOD, Ordinance board, who the hell ever they are)

And then, the one that meets all requirements the best is the one that's supposed to get the contract. (read my first statement).

Old 03-14-2013, 03:28 AM   #4

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

basically what trip said.

-A need is indentified
-Then a requirement is issued by the respective service (Or a "warfighter challenge" which is not quite a requirement, but a solication for examining the need and ID'ing possible solutions)
-Then its examined if a solution exists
- and then it examined if its critical enough to fund.
- If yes then a market survey is conducted and manufactueres are invited to submit competing proposals
- Proposals are compared, often by competitive evaluation (thugho sometimes not, if time is critical)
- Then the winner gets an order

(if no existing solution can fill the gap AND it is ID'ed as critical AND funds have been made available then a development contract may be issued).

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 03-14-2013 at 03:31 AM.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #5

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Wait, you mean individual soldiers?

When you enlist, your can choose your job (to an extent). You can sign on to be a mortarman, rifleman, artillery, whatever. Then you'll get issued a weapon depending on the units needs within your specialty.

I was a SAW gunner my entire enlistment. I enlisted as a rifleman. My unit needed more SAW gunners when I joined up, and so I was told, "hey you! Yeah, you, the boot! You're a SAW gunner now."

Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 AM   #6

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Call of Duty.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

depends on the unit. sometimes its hey your being a retard you carry this...

the better units assign weapons based on aptitude with a given platform. it turned out i was an artist with an m60 so my platoon sergeant made me a machine gunner. i was also really good with a m203 m16 saw mk19 but i preferred the 60.

the one thing i thought was stupid was that you had to be a sergeant to get a 203 regardless of any ability with the firearm. our unit only one e5+ had any ability to use a 203 at all. we had many e1-e4 that were reallllly good with the launcher.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...