Might have to sell AR, what bolt action instead? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Might have to sell AR, what bolt action instead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 270 Ruger 77 MKII les than 1MOA Forasle or trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
I'm moving to the only county in NC who has a law prohibiting any copy of a military automatic rifle. (Long story... suffice it to say when you're married, compromises have to be made. At least I don't have to go back to NH) I have several hundred rounds of .223 ammo, so I thought about a bolt gun. Two questions: In past years, Ruger's Mini's have had thin walled barrels which made them only mildly accurate IMO. Are today's Rugers, such as the Model 77, made with good heavy barrels? Also, does anyone have any experience with Savage bolt guns? TIA.
E-mail me at mikem@tls.net if you have interest in a 5/8 inch group at 100yard Ruger MKII 99%++ in a Win 270 130gr BT? Great varmint and deer, and elk and black bear and anything out to 300 yards dead on.
mikem@tls.net

Last edited by rugermike; 04-26-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #12

Liked 1415 Times on 837 Posts
Likes Given: 437

I've got less than 1k in my Howa 1500 .223 with a 24" heavy barrel and a Nikon 4.5-14x scope. Shoots great at least to 200, I haven't had the chance to take it further than that.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #13

Tikka Tactical in .223

Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
I'm moving to the only county in NC who has a law prohibiting any copy of a military automatic rifle. (Long story... suffice it to say when you're married, compromises have to be made. At least I don't have to go back to NH) I have several hundred rounds of .223 ammo, so I thought about a bolt gun. Two questions: In past years, Ruger's Mini's have had thin walled barrels which made them only mildly accurate IMO. Are today's Rugers, such as the Model 77, made with good heavy barrels? Also, does anyone have any experience with Savage bolt guns? TIA.
SG - Sorry I missed this thread when it first hit.

First off, you need to check and see if your model and year of AR is grandfathered in. Most states, and I can't see yours being any different, that went with the first AWB, still allowed models previously purchased to be grandfathered in. As such, you would be "allowed" to keep your weapon.

If you can't keep it, make sure and price it right for the market. Let's be honest, people are paying double what they should for parts right now, a complete weapon is going to make you a good profit.

The Savage is getting some good reviews. I haven't shot it, but the reports are that it is a good, out of the box rifled action.

Personally, right now, I don't think there is a better boltgun for the money than the Weatherby Vanguard Sub-Moa. It's basically the Howa 1500 that Weatherby has made to "their specs" at the CNC shop of Howa in Japan. The action is very sturdy, the extractor is rock solid, and their actions have a very tight tolerance.

I have a Howa 1500 that I built into a .25-06 for my grandfather before he passed. He had given me my first boltgun and I ended up giving him his last one. He said he never had a weapon that shot that well, and he had collected weapons his whole life.

This thing has a standard Douglas barrel on it, a hunting profile at that, and it shoots .40 groups if I do my part.

For the money, the Vanguard is the way to go. .99 MOA guaranteed from the factory with standard over the counter ammo. You're going to find it hard to beat that type of a guarantee.....

JD

Old 04-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recently got a Savage 12 with a 26" heavy fluted barrel and a laminated thumbhole stock and accu trigger. I have shot 1" 5 shot groups at 200 yards when I do my part, and that is with Hornady 55 gr. FMJ's, not match bullets. The accu trigger is awesome. I have a 20x Simmons Whitetail classic scope on it. A heavy rig though. I have about $800 in it.

BTW, if my wife told me we were moving somewhere where I had to give up my AR15, time for a different wife

Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #16

Default update

I've just been set straight by a gun owner who has lived in Durham NC for 39 years and used to be the Glock armorer for DPD. Only handguns need to be registered but not long guns. And the ordinance about not allowing military look-a-likes never even made it through the city council. So off to Durham we go (I'd rather stay in out in the country, but I'd rather keep my wife even more).

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:41 PM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Good news Gus.

And don't forget to keep your friends here at FTF!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #18

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3486 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
I've just been set straight by a gun owner who has lived in Durham NC for 39 years and used to be the Glock armorer for DPD. Only handguns need to be registered but not long guns. And the ordinance about not allowing military look-a-likes never even made it through the city council. So off to Durham we go (I'd rather stay in out in the country, but I'd rather keep my wife even more).

That is great news S.G.

Keep that AR - Me thinks you are going to need it in the coming 12 month period.

JD

Old 05-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #19

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

'Gus that is great news. Now start stocking up on some AR's.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 05-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
That is great news S.G.

Keep that AR - Me thinks you are going to need it in the coming 12 month period.

JD
MMM...HMMMM!!! I'd have to agree. Honestly though, when I thought I'd have to give up the AR and started looking at bolt guns, I have to say that after I buy my BUG J-frame, a bolt gun for competition will be next. Can you say .338 Lapua? Just rolls off the tongue doesn't it

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.