Might have to sell AR, what bolt action instead?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Might have to sell AR, what bolt action instead?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Might have to sell AR, what bolt action instead?

I'm moving to the only county in NC who has a law prohibiting any copy of a military automatic rifle. (Long story... suffice it to say when you're married, compromises have to be made. At least I don't have to go back to NH) I have several hundred rounds of .223 ammo, so I thought about a bolt gun. Two questions: In past years, Ruger's Mini's have had thin walled barrels which made them only mildly accurate IMO. Are today's Rugers, such as the Model 77, made with good heavy barrels? Also, does anyone have any experience with Savage bolt guns? TIA.

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-25-2009, 02:45 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No experience personally with Savage, but I subscribe to 6 Gun Magazines including SHooting Times (one of the more reputable) and all of them have had articles over the last 2 years glorifying the Savage line of rifles. They make a Mod.12 that supposedly makes sub-.5" groups and is built specifically for competing - it's cheaper than any other rifle built for competition. All of their rifles from the Mod.110 on up to this newest Mod.12 are touted as being more accurate out-of-the-box than any other commercially produced rifle costing hundreds more. From what I have read I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. The only thing I don't like is the appearance of their accu-trigger - I think it's ugly, but supposedly it works spectacularly. Of course if you're in NC you should check out the new Win. Mod.70 being produced in SC, but be prepared to spend over $1000 for one.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-25-2009 at 02:47 AM.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:04 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have a Stevens Mod 200 that I payed 300 for new. It is a good rifle, too light for me though need to put a wood stock on it.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #4

You can get a heavy barrel M 77. Or a Savage, which is an excellent and less expensive rifle. All the 77s I've owned had trigger issues. I've got a Savage in .300 WM and it's very accurate.

Which county in N.C. doesn't allow military-style rifles? (where Chapel Hill is located?) I'd think that would be not constitutional due to the SCOTUS decision in D.C.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

All good advice. Or you can buy a new Mini 14 if you would still like a semi auto. It's not an AR, but they are greatly improved.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minionsram View Post
I have a Stevens Mod 200 that I payed 300 for new. It is a good rifle, too light for me though need to put a wood stock on it.
Ditto on the stevens,I also have a mod 200.It is somewhat light but it does't bother me.As for the accutrigger you can have the stevens trigger reworked and still be way cheaper than the Savage, Mine has about 2lbs pull max.
HOWEVER if you're selling your AR and are looking to reinvest I do hear the savage with the trigger and stock are the bees knees

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

An out of the box Savage rifle will run circles around a Ruger 77. The 77 has never been know for being a tac-driver,they are however a nice gun with a better fit/finish than the Savage.

One thing to find out if buying a bolt action 223,is the barrel twist rate,some mfg's have been known having 1:10,1:12 twist rates that really limit shooting anything over 55gr bullets. 1:9 is a good choice for most 223 ammo. I prefer 1:8,but I shoot mostly 62-75gr bullets.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 04-26-2009, 12:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing View Post
Ditto on the stevens,I also have a mod 200.It is somewhat light but it does't bother me.As for the accutrigger you can have the stevens trigger reworked and still be way cheaper than the Savage, Mine has about 2lbs pull max.
HOWEVER if you're selling your AR and are looking to reinvest I do hear the savage with the trigger and stock are the bees knees
That's my plan. I can probably sell the AR for about $1,200 so I'd like to find a .223 bolt gun for 1k or under.

Gene, it's Durham County. Chapel Hill is Chatham County I believe. As far as Heller goes, Durham County isn't banning guns, just limiting what you can own I'm going to talk to the DA and try to get an answer; they may have changed since Heller.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

You may want to check the rules regarding the AR ban in your new county.

Here in CA we have some of the toughest ban laws in the country. Certain makes and models are on the list and the rifles receiver can’t be on that list. I bought an off list receiver and built the rest of the rifle using Stag AR parts. You may be able to modify your AR to comply with the local laws and still have an AR style rifle.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
You may want to check the rules regarding the AR ban in your new county.

Here in CA we have some of the toughest ban laws in the country. Certain makes and models are on the list and the rifles receiver can’t be on that list. I bought an off list receiver and built the rest of the rifle using Stag AR parts. You may be able to modify your AR to comply with the local laws and still have an AR style rifle.
Thanks Jo. I never thought of that. I'll check it out.