Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Might have to sell AR, what bolt action instead? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/might-have-sell-ar-what-bolt-action-instead-13222/)

supergus 04-25-2009 02:02 AM

Might have to sell AR, what bolt action instead?
 
I'm moving to the only county in NC who has a law prohibiting any copy of a military automatic rifle. :mad:(Long story... suffice it to say when you're married, compromises have to be made. At least I don't have to go back to NH:D) I have several hundred rounds of .223 ammo, so I thought about a bolt gun. Two questions: In past years, Ruger's Mini's have had thin walled barrels which made them only mildly accurate IMO. Are today's Rugers, such as the Model 77, made with good heavy barrels? Also, does anyone have any experience with Savage bolt guns? TIA.

RL357Mag 04-25-2009 02:45 AM

No experience personally with Savage, but I subscribe to 6 Gun Magazines including SHooting Times (one of the more reputable) and all of them have had articles over the last 2 years glorifying the Savage line of rifles. They make a Mod.12 that supposedly makes sub-.5" groups and is built specifically for competing - it's cheaper than any other rifle built for competition. All of their rifles from the Mod.110 on up to this newest Mod.12 are touted as being more accurate out-of-the-box than any other commercially produced rifle costing hundreds more. From what I have read I wouldn't hesitate to try one out. The only thing I don't like is the appearance of their accu-trigger - I think it's ugly, but supposedly it works spectacularly. Of course if you're in NC you should check out the new Win. Mod.70 being produced in SC, but be prepared to spend over $1000 for one.

Minionsram 04-25-2009 03:04 AM

I have a Stevens Mod 200 that I payed 300 for new. It is a good rifle, too light for me though need to put a wood stock on it.

Gene Langston 04-25-2009 04:06 PM

You can get a heavy barrel M 77. Or a Savage, which is an excellent and less expensive rifle. All the 77s I've owned had trigger issues. I've got a Savage in .300 WM and it's very accurate.

Which county in N.C. doesn't allow military-style rifles? (where Chapel Hill is located?) I'd think that would be not constitutional due to the SCOTUS decision in D.C.

CA357 04-25-2009 05:02 PM

All good advice. Or you can buy a new Mini 14 if you would still like a semi auto. It's not an AR, but they are greatly improved.

flyingbrickracing 04-25-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minionsram (Post 98766)
I have a Stevens Mod 200 that I payed 300 for new. It is a good rifle, too light for me though need to put a wood stock on it.

Ditto on the stevens,I also have a mod 200.It is somewhat light but it does't bother me.As for the accutrigger you can have the stevens trigger reworked and still be way cheaper than the Savage, Mine has about 2lbs pull max.
HOWEVER if you're selling your AR and are looking to reinvest I do hear the savage with the trigger and stock are the bees knees

Txhillbilly 04-26-2009 12:07 AM

An out of the box Savage rifle will run circles around a Ruger 77. The 77 has never been know for being a tac-driver,they are however a nice gun with a better fit/finish than the Savage.

One thing to find out if buying a bolt action 223,is the barrel twist rate,some mfg's have been known having 1:10,1:12 twist rates that really limit shooting anything over 55gr bullets. 1:9 is a good choice for most 223 ammo. I prefer 1:8,but I shoot mostly 62-75gr bullets.

supergus 04-26-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingbrickracing (Post 98932)
Ditto on the stevens,I also have a mod 200.It is somewhat light but it does't bother me.As for the accutrigger you can have the stevens trigger reworked and still be way cheaper than the Savage, Mine has about 2lbs pull max.
HOWEVER if you're selling your AR and are looking to reinvest I do hear the savage with the trigger and stock are the bees knees

That's my plan. I can probably sell the AR for about $1,200 so I'd like to find a .223 bolt gun for 1k or under.

Gene, it's Durham County. Chapel Hill is Chatham County I believe. As far as Heller goes, Durham County isn't banning guns, just limiting what you can own:rolleyes: I'm going to talk to the DA and try to get an answer; they may have changed since Heller.

Jo da Plumbr 04-26-2009 12:14 AM

You may want to check the rules regarding the AR ban in your new county.

Here in CA we have some of the toughest ban laws in the country. Certain makes and models are on the list and the rifles receiver canít be on that list. I bought an off list receiver and built the rest of the rifle using Stag AR parts. You may be able to modify your AR to comply with the local laws and still have an AR style rifle.

supergus 04-26-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr (Post 98999)
You may want to check the rules regarding the AR ban in your new county.

Here in CA we have some of the toughest ban laws in the country. Certain makes and models are on the list and the rifles receiver canít be on that list. I bought an off list receiver and built the rest of the rifle using Stag AR parts. You may be able to modify your AR to comply with the local laws and still have an AR style rifle.

Thanks Jo. I never thought of that. I'll check it out.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:57 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.