mid range rifle build? ar 10 or bolt rifle 6.5 556???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > mid range rifle build? ar 10 or bolt rifle 6.5 556???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default mid range rifle build? ar 10 or bolt rifle 6.5 556???

hey guys i wana build a mid range rifle. i would love to be able to reach out as far as possible (maybe 300-800 yds) and realise it takes skill to go out farther and would like to learn these skills.
i was thinking to build a ar 10 or a ar 15 varient maybe a 6.5 or 762
im new to all these rounds and dont really know how far each can reach.
i wouldnt mind buying a semi auto rifle.
My price range for buying a rifle would be around 700$
i know that probably leaves me around a bolt action but what all do you reccomend im looking for something very accurate.

if i build this rifle i can spend more over time more then the 700$

whats advantage of 6.5 or 308??
how far can a 556 go out of a 18 or 20 in barrel

ive always wanted a SCAR
should i just save the money?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

whats the least 338 expensive i can buy?

Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Least priced 338 lapua mag capable of shots put to 1 1/2 miles http://www.gunsamerica.com/990853342/Remington_338_Lapua_Tactical_Rifle.htm

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

the issue with anything over 30-06 is the price of ammo. even reloading most of the big calibers doesnt make it terribly affordable.

i would recomend a 308 or 5.56/223 to learn with. it will allow you to buy more ammo to shoot or more components to reload.

difficulty in shooting at distance increases exponentially with the further out you go. it isnt like shooting at 800 yards is 8 times as hard as 100 its more like 800 times as hard. working your way up and getting tot he point of shooting CONSISTANTLY moa at each 100 yard graduation is the goal you should set for yourself.

to be a good shooter your really should look at getting into loading your own as the only factory ammo that comes close to consistant results shot for shot is something like black hills match. factory ammo cannot compete with someone who is taking their time at making quality ammunition with good components.

anyway i would recomend picking a nice AR15 maybe from rock river, known for accuracy in off the shelf ar15's, and learn to shoot that. they are good to about 600 yards before you need a bigger stick. couple years from now when you have mastered that then think about something else. while your shooting and loading save a little each month for your next rifle for when your ready for that next step.

once you have the basics down then you can think about a big thumper as you will have a much larger base of experience, the tools needed in loading gear, and the knowledge to put it to good use.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Yunus Likes This 
Old 08-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #5

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Jon is correct in everything he said.

While semi does not mean inaccurate it is generally going to be less accurate than an equivalent bolt action rifle. Extreme accuracy does not come cheap and that includes the rifle and scope as well as the ammo, unless you load your own but that seems like a big step from where you are now.

I suggest a .308 bolt action, personally the Howa 1500 is my favorite and it's as accurate as your going to find for the price. $700 is a tight budget for a rifle and scope for an 800 yard gun.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 08-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #6

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by combateffective4 View Post
hey guys i wana build a mid range rifle. i would love to be able to reach out as far as possible (maybe 300-800 yds) and realise it takes skill to go out farther and would like to learn these skills.
i know that probably leaves me around a bolt action but what all do you reccomend im looking for something very accurate.

ive always wanted a SCAR
You are going to have a hard time finding a rifle and decent glass for $700. If you plan on going long distance, you will probably be spending a bit more....

Old 08-30-2013, 01:42 AM   #7

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Start with $500 and add about $2 a yard to get a consistant, accurate bolt action, but the gun is never better than the gunner.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by combateffective4 View Post

ive always wanted a SCAR
You could possibly find a good used rifle for $700 or a little less in a bolt action.
I have always shot .308 caliber rifles at long range 308-30/06-300 WM,and they work great with the right bullets/loads. This year I started shooting the 6.5mm calibers,260 Remington-6.5 Creedmoor,and I haven't shot any of my .308 caliber rifles since.
The 6.5mm bullets-Berger 140 gr VLD's have almost identical trajectories at 1000 yards as a 300 WM with 1/3 of the recoil,and almost 1/2 the powder charge.

You can build a very good shooting rifle off a Savage 308 family action for around $1k minus optics,but that's about as cheap as your going to get for a decent rifle with a good aftermarket stock,and a decent aftermarket barrel.
As long as the action is for any of the 308 cartridge family,the only change would be the barrel/premium barrel lug/and a trued barrel nut.
There are many calibers that could be used with these actions.

There are some decent AR10's out there,but your not going to find one that will be in your price range. I paid over $1k for my DPMS LR-260,then added a good trigger,buttstock,and optics. It'll go well north of $2k fast in the AR10 game,and I consider the DPMS an entry grade AR10.

I built my 6.5 Creedmoor using a brand new Savage Varmint action,I still haven't bought the Manners stock for it,nor the Nightforce NSX scope. When those two items are added to it,I'll have over $3k in that rifle. It isn't cheap building a great shooting rifle. Presently,I'm using the Choate tactical stock and Sightron SIII scope from my 308 on it,but this thing shoots outstanding so far.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 08-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

A .556 AR-15 is marginal at 1000 yards. I've never seen it done in person but was told that it is possible. You would need to plan on a high twist match barrel and a Wylde chamber. You probably will have to get neck deep into reloading your own rounds as well or pay out the nose for some expensive match rounds. You're looking at more than $700 total though.

There are others with much more experience in this area than I. But if I were in your shoes I would try starting out with a bone stock used rock river arms AR-15 and upgrading the entire upper and barrel to something with a Wylde chamber later when the money looks better.

This would be a comparatively inexpensive option for a semi that would be easy to upgrade to what you want. You could start working on your technique right away and you'd have a very nice entry-level semi to play with.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 08-30-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:12 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5671 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
A .556 AR-15 is marginal at 1000 yards. I've never seen it done but it is possible. You would need to plan on a high twist match barrel and a Wylde chamber. You probably will have to get neck deep into reloading your own rounds as well if you want to reach out that far. You're looking at more than $700 total though.

There are others with much more experience in this area than I. But if I were in your shoes I would try starting out with a bone stock rock river arms AR-15 and upgrading the entire upper and barrel to something with a Wylde chamber later when the money looks better.

This would be a comparatively inexpensive option for a semi that would be easy to upgrade to what you want. You could start working on your technique right away and you'd have a very nice entry-level semi to play with.
i believe all rra rifles come with wylde chambers and are wilson barrels. wilson barrels (not wilson combat) are right up there with white oak and krieger and other top end makers. switching out a rra barrel your only moving sideways in quality.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...