Metal shards in my chamber

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Metal shards in my chamber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Metal shards in my chamber

Was shooting this weekend with my dpms ar15 and started to jam with some brass pieces that were left in chamber now I know I could of cleaned it better before hand all I did was lube my bolt very lightly.... Is the lack of cleaning the cause or could there be other underling issues like spurs? Or anything else...I'm hoping it was just dirty just a very odd jam with peices of brass left in chambers...would apreciate any info

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Get you a Chamber Maid.
Your DPMS upper is marked as .223/5.56 on the left side of the mag well, and if you look at the bottom of your barrel in front of the forearm, you should be marked 5.56 1-9. That is what my A-15 is marked. If so, then you should be able to safely shoot .223 as well as 5.56 in it. So, that being the case, you probably are not getting the shavings from using 5.56 in a .223 chamber which will sometimes happen.

Strip it and clean it. That is likely your problem, then try it and see what it does. What ammo are you using, you did not say. That could be an issue also, if it is imported ammo. Try some Federal or other American ammo and see how it likes it. Those AR's have to be kept clean and wet. Check it and get back to us.

After you get it all cleaned, then lube it good. Here is a link with your lube points.
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t118168.html

NRA Life
Whittington Center Life
Times are tough, ammo is expensive, there will be no warning shots.

Last edited by W. C. Quantrill; 06-18-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #3

Liked 2506 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

Did you look at the spent cartridges?

You may want to fire a mag a round at

a time. Watch the ejected brass, see if it's

uniform throughout the mag, at the beginning,

end, rapid fire only, etc.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:40 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Pictures help, it is hard enough to diagnose a problem when the gun is in hand. A lot of new ARs have sharp edges and corners on the locking lugs and will shave off small bits of brass as the case is extracted from the chamber. This usually doesn't create any problems, and should lessen as the gun wears in and the sharp edges dull. If they are larger then very fine shavings it is likely that something else is going on. If you can get some pics on here of the shavings in the gun, and of the cases so we can see it also.
What kind of jam are you experiencing? Failure to extract the case from the chamber, failure to eject the case from the gun, or failure to feed a new case into the chamber? These all have different causes, and would help a great deal in figuring out what is going on.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

It's lake city ammo but like I said I really slacked on the cleaning so I will check that barrel mark but I'm pretty sure its 5.56 and .223 compatible....have a few thousand rounds thru it with out problems expect when I'm lazy and don't clean properly I hope and think that's the cause thanks for the info