Mercury Recoil Suppressors...Snake Oil?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mercury Recoil Suppressors...Snake Oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
KMO
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Mercury Recoil Suppressors...Snake Oil?

OK, I have a beautiful Remington 700 chambered in .30-06, set up with a deluxe walnut stock and a jeweled bolt. My problem, two strokes have left me a little "recoil intolerant." I reluctantly put it up for sale, and then a friend told me about these mercury-filled recoil suppressors that are designed to insert into the buttstock and absorb the recoil. Here is a website...
MERCURY RECOIL SUPPRESSORS, RECOIL REDUCTION, REDUCE RECOIL IN SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Anyone really tried these? Do they work, or is it a snake oil gimmick?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #2

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 623

I have never had one installed in a gun,but have shot a 416 Rigby with one,and yes they do make a difference in the felt recoil.

You might also want to try a quality recoil pad like Limbsaver and reduced recoil ammo before having a big hole drilled into the buttstock of your rifle.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:54 AM   #3

limbsaver recoil pads do kick ass. only one id personally reccomend. most any heavy recoil pad will help, but ive never found anything as good as teh limbsaver ones, and the price is competitive with the rest, so,imo, its a no brainer.

other than that, id say try it. no need to give up your favorite rifle!! in addition to that, although its not going to be "hidden", a good muzzle brake will help too.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
KMO

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I share the sentiments guys...would love to keep it. I admit, drilling a 7/8" x 4" hole in the buttstock does seem a bit radical, although a hole like that could always be plugged with a dowel later if the mercury gizmo didn't work. BTW, I have an extra thick Pachmayr slip-on recoil pad on this rifle, a regular pillow. Even with that, it's a pretty huge hit to my neuro system when the rifle is fired. I might move a little slow on the sale, but I think I'd still like to hear more from anyone who might have tried one of these mercury devices.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I give them a big fat YES! I developed nerve damage in my left anticubatal, and had to have surgery,and things didn't recover nearly as well as had been anticipated. Recoil to the shoulder was not a problem, but holding onto my Boss Double was. As was the 280, and even an 870 SP. I swear by them, and as you posted, you can always plug up the hole. I'm not sure about the hows and whys but, I was able to retrain my body after using them, and no longer really need them. Numb hand /arm and all.

If the higher end pads don't work, give them a try.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Sounds like a good deal, KMO. While I don't know too much about things like this, I did recently install a muzzle brake on my Tikka .223 Varmint. It made the rifle feel like a .22 going off. I am very happy with the brake. The only other one I have is on my AR15, & I have never shot it without the brake on.

Will Rogers

Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #7

Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

KMO,
Yes, they do work. They have been used in shot guns for many, many years, mostly in trap guns. They work just as well in rifle stocks. Don't be afraid of drilling that hole...

Jim............

Old 04-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #8
KMO

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is about a $50 investment, and since I'd pay that much to keep the rifle, I'll go ahead with it. Thanks for the input guys...will let you know how it works...