Mcmillan tac rifles - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mcmillan tac rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac2387
You can not go wrong with Macmillian rifles. I own two and they are superb. I have shot one mile with each of them.

Their customer service is also great. They are not the most responsive folks around but they will take care of you. You can not rush quality and lots of folks want quality, so you get in line.

McMillian also runs shooting classes for owner of their rifles, and you will have a good time there. They have an excellent range with lots of distant targets to test your shooting ability.

If you have the chance to meet Mike, he puts his money and reputation on the line when he come to the classes. Gunsmiths are on hand to address any issues that might crop up. The class is to see that you get the most out of your rifle.

I own Remingtons, I own custom builds with Shilen barrels (another quality company) when I want to reach out far and make introductions, I bring my Mcmillian.

It is like driving a Mercedes and a Volkswagon. Yes the cheaper method will get you where you want to go, most of the time, but the other will get you there in style. When you show up with a Mcmillian it is like a beautiful prom date with big hooters, everyone wants to look and wishes they were you.

Just my two cents, of course your experience may vary, but I don't see any threads running down Mcmillian for poor performance or quality.
I have to whole heartedly agree w you

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 05-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Mcmillians suck!!! Lmao just kidding thought I'd be the first to talk crap, but I don't mean it. They are awesome rifles if you have the money for them, which I do but I can't see myself spending that much for a rifle. But to each his own.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #23

Liked 278 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 31

If you think you can't build a fine rifle for less than 5000 dollar less scope then go right ahead and buy a mcmillian.

locutus You must think I don't own a shooter. I have a rifle built by a retired local areo space machinist/ gun smith . Nice hunter. 27" krieger #7 profile barrel Ruger 77 mkII action, quality stock blocked and bedded, timney trigger and a old low cost 4-12 power hunting scope. I have a nice burris black diamond for it just can't find a reason to change it out. Shoots 1" groups at 400 yards with the only handload i tried, smithy scolded me for not working up at a better load. 2" with hornady sst ammo at 400 yards too. Some factory production rifle cost as much as I have in mine + old rifle cost. 1300 dollars total cost in the rifle. You could also send your action or stock and action to krieger and have them mount the barrel to the reciever , do all the machine work needed and block and bed it to your stock and be waaay ahead too add a 2000 dollar scope and a pelican rifle case and be well ahead of a mcmillian rifle cost. There are quality local smiths around that can do the same thing as the "big boys" can do with out haveing to pay a fine of the name. Just have to get off your rear and see whos around your area.

vincine You did not look at the link to mcmillians rifle and cost did you.5000 dollars and up.

Last edited by hardluk1; 05-16-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
If you think you can't build a fine rifle for less than 5000 dollar less scope then go right ahead and buy a mcmillian.

locutus You must think I don't own a shooter. I have a rifle built by a retired local areo space machinist/ gun smith . Nice hunter. 27" krieger #7 profile barrel Ruger 77 mkII action, quality stock , timney trigger and a old low cost 4-12 power hunting scope. I have a nice burris black diamond for it just can't find a reason to change it out. Shoots 1" groups at 400 yards with the only handload i tried, smithy scolded me for not working up at a better load. 2" with hornady sst ammo at 400 yards too. Some factory production rifle cost as much as I have in mine + old rifle cost. 1300 dollars total cost in the rifle. You could also send your action or stcok and action to krieger and have them mount the barrel to the reciever , do all the machine work needed and block and bed it to your stock and be waaay ahead too add a 2000 dollar scope and be well ahead of a mcmillian rifle cost. There are quality local smiths around that can do the same thing as the "big boys" can do with out haveing to pay a fine of the name. Just have to get off your rear and see whos around your area.

vincine You did not look at the link to mcmillians rifle and cost did you.5000 dollars and up.
Iv built many a rifle for less than 5k. The only rifle I have put that much in is my warbird and its got about $5,050 in it at the moment.......mostly barrels and the scope.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #25

marlinman How many barrel and the cost of a scope is how much. Mcmillian get 5000 dollars and up just for the rifle ,scope base and case. Forget the scope cost.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #26

Scope is worth 3 grand and barrels are bout 1500 not counting my tester barrel that I have almost paid off. I paid 1800 roughly for my scope. So all told on barrels and scope bout 2300. I built my warbird from the action out myself though

Old 05-16-2012, 01:00 AM   #27

Liked 1835 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
. . . vincine You did not look at the link to mcmillians rifle and cost did you.5000 dollars and up.
I did. That's why I offered the 'Recipe' and the link to the other significantly less expensive packages.

It takes a lot of money to run an indy car or do deep sea exploration. It takes a lot of money to run at the very top levels of a lot of things. Marksmanship seems to be one of those things where that kind of money isn’t required to run with the wolves.

Last edited by Vincine; 05-16-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Old 05-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #28

marlinman Re-read your post. You have all kinds of cost . 3000 for a scope, 1500 for a barrel but 2300 in both barrel and scope.. SO you have 1500 in a scope and 800 in your barrel fit to the action??? That sounds spot on with a great scope. Test barrel or barrel number 10 does not reflect in orginial cost of finished custom rifle. You shoot it and barrels wear. Just the cost of shooting. So atleast you should see how ridicules the cost of a of a mcmillian is.

Vincine After seeing that ever gun mcmillian makes is 5000 and up it just makes me crasy that people spend that kind of money for something that could be a 308. Not a super dupper mag round for 2 mile shots. Just a hunting rifle. It damd sure does not take the ridicules cost of a mcmillian to shot tiny groups at long distance.
I see your cost are less but if your lucky there are smiths out there than can trim that buy more than a bit still.

I can see buying a world class 1000 yard rifle and do it for 2000 less money any mcmillian does. Even a world class rail gun is about 5000 dollars but your buying 2500 dollar rest.

Buy remington or savage tactical, learn the game well and then in a year or 3 you can rebarrel with a top end barrel and still be a few grand ahead of the game.

mcmillian only guarrantee's 1" at 100 yards. 1/2" with handloads .

Last edited by hardluk1; 05-16-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6263 Times on 3516 Posts
Likes Given: 5847

It would really be nice if you could get a Lambhorgini for the price of a Hyundai. Unfortunately, you can't

It would also be nice if you could find a local gunsmith that is capable of doing the quality of work that Jarrett or McMillan does. Good luck looking.

Comparing a Mauser action to a 40x???? Go to a benchrest match sometime and see what actions the winners use.

Sorry folks, but if you want a Lamborghini, you're going to have to pay for a Lamborghini.

OTOH, if' you're will to settle for a Corvette, you can save a bundle.

We would all like to believe that we can find something for a dollar that's as good as something that costs two dollars. but if we're honest with ourselves, we know it just isn't true.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz

Last edited by locutus; 05-16-2012 at 05:23 PM.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
marlinman Re-read your post. You have all kinds of cost . 3000 for a scope, 1500 for a barrel but 2300 in both barrel and scope.. SO you have 1500 in a scope and 800 in your barrel fit to the action??? That sounds spot on with a great scope. Test barrel or barrel number 10 does not reflect in orginial cost of finished custom rifle. You shoot it and barrels wear. Just the cost of shooting. So atleast you should see how ridicules the cost of a of a mcmillian is.

Vincine After seeing that ever gun mcmillian makes is 5000 and up it just makes me crasy that people spend that kind of money for something that could be a 308. Not a super dupper mag round for 2 mile shots. Just a hunting rifle. It damd sure does not take the ridicules cost of a mcmillian to shot tiny groups at long distance.
I see your cost are less but if your lucky there are smiths out there than can trim that buy more than a bit still.

I can see buying a world class 1000 yard rifle and do it for 2000 less money any mcmillian does. Even a world class rail gun is about 5000 dollars but your buying 2500 dollar rest.

Buy remington or savage tactical, learn the game well and then in a year or 3 you can rebarrel with a top end barrel and still be a few grand ahead of the game.

mcmillian only guarrantee's 1" at 100 yards. 1/2" with handloads .
I know I do. I told you what the stuff is worth then told you what I have in em MY cost. That is also for FOUR krieger #6 & #8 contoured barrels

Last edited by Marlinman; 05-16-2012 at 05:24 PM.