Mcmillan tac rifles - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Mcmillan tac rifles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
This is a recipe from a sharpshooter on another forum. He sounds like he knows what he’s talking about from other posts on long range marksmanship that I’ve read.

[>This is where you need to start;

Buy a Remington, M700 rifle in .308 with a medium heavy barrel. From their current offering your best bet is the SPS VARMINT. ($600)
Dismount the stock and sell it or throw it away. It’s junk.
Buy a Bell & Carlson Light Tactical Stock. ($300)
Buy a Badger Ordnance 20moa steel scope base. ($150)
Buy a set of Badger Ordnance standard 30mm rings. ($165)
Buy a SWFA SS 10X42 Tactical Riflescope, HD model. ($800)
Buy a Harris S-LM bipod leg notch sling swivel stud mount, 9”-13”. ($90.00)

You are looking at an investment of $2,105 before you buy ammunition, cleaning gear, hard case, drag bag, range finder, log book, spotting scope, reloading components, ballistic software, etc.

Yes, that’s a whole lot of money. Nobody ever said that tactical precision shooting was cheap. But with the above described gear you are pretty much set. You could shave around $500 off the cost of the scope by not getting the HD model….but you’ll be sorry.

If you think you have a &ldquo;better&rdquo; idea go ahead with it and if you stay in this activity any length of time you&rsquo;ll wish you&rsquo;d have taken this advice. <]

And then there's these:

https://www.snipercentral.com/scriflepackages.phtml

Of course, the proof is in the group.
Well I'm a little over a 1/4 of the way there then! Lol

Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #12

Liked 1740 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileSigPro40 View Post
Well I'm a little over a 1/4 of the way there then! Lol
Well, There you go. Please let us (me) know how it shoots just as it is. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
Well, There you go. Please let us (me) know how it shoots just as it is. Thanks.
You didn't see my original post with the two pics I showed of mine. Mines like the second post on this thread. Go back and look at.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry I mean fourth post! Lol

Old 05-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #15

Liked 1740 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by HostileSigPro40 View Post
Hey save some money and get you a Remington 700 SPS .308 tactical! Academy has them for $600 and the whole stock is wrapped with the hogue rubber textured grip and has a really smooth bolt action with the big bull barrel to last you quite awhile. I absolutely love mine and so far I've reached out to about 850 yds with it and my groupings are staying 1" around the bulls eye with a couple of dead center hits! . . . . .
Oh yeah, right, I forgot you posted that. So: "Well then; Nevermind." Emily Latella

(so how big is the bull's eye?)

Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

HostileSigPro40 In the total cost of around $1100.00 I did buy the scope a 6-16 30mm from Springfield Armory and this it was about $400.00 at the time . I load 168 gr. at 2600 fps Accurate #9 and it is good .

KEYBEAR

Old 05-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

This does not look like a bad deal but it's a mcmillan they are so gorgeous

Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
HostileSigPro40 In the total cost of around $1100.00 I did buy the scope a 6-16 30mm from Springfield Armory and this it was about $400.00 at the time . I load 168 gr. at 2600 fps Accurate #9 and it is good .

KEYBEAR
Dang you load them fast!!! Those been working good for you? Also what's the furthest distance you shot with them? You've tested that threw a chronograph to get that accurate FPS? Sorry for all the back to back questions, I tend to get excited about firearms and ammo! Lol

Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #19

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
I must respectfully disagree. There are a handful of gunsmiths in the country that could build you a rifle of the quality of the McMillan.

And their services will cost as much as the McMillan.

IMHO, if you want true "top end" you have to pay "top price."

You could have Kenny Jarrett build you a rifle, but I doubt you'd save any money.

There are a few others, but by the time you buy a Remington 40X action, (the best) a Shilen, Lilja, or Krieger barrel, McMillan synthetic stock, have the action squared off, threads chased, scope rings bedded to the action, barrel hand lapped, and on and on, that master gunsmith is going to have many hours invested in your rifle. And true masters don't work for less than premium wages.
Depending on the caliber I can build one for about $3000 bottom line. I don't use no damn Remington 40x action though. I use Mauser actions. IF the customer wanted the Remmy action I'd build one off from it but its not my preferred action simply bc iv seen them destroyed easily.....then again me and my mentor build a lot of wildcat stuff. I also prefer Heart or Krieger barrels.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Last edited by Marlinman; 05-15-2012 at 10:05 PM.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #20

Default McMillian Tac Rifles

You can not go wrong with Macmillian rifles. I own two and they are superb. I have shot one mile with each of them.

Their customer service is also great. They are not the most responsive folks around but they will take care of you. You can not rush quality and lots of folks want quality, so you get in line.

McMillian also runs shooting classes for owner of their rifles, and you will have a good time there. They have an excellent range with lots of distant targets to test your shooting ability.

If you have the chance to meet Mike, he puts his money and reputation on the line when he come to the classes. Gunsmiths are on hand to address any issues that might crop up. The class is to see that you get the most out of your rifle.

I own Remingtons, I own custom builds with Shilen barrels (another quality company) when I want to reach out far and make introductions, I bring my Mcmillian.

It is like driving a Mercedes and a Volkswagon. Yes the cheaper method will get you where you want to go, most of the time, but the other will get you there in style. When you show up with a Mcmillian it is like a beautiful prom date with big hooters, everyone wants to look and wishes they were you.

Just my two cents, of course your experience may vary, but I don't see any threads running down Mcmillian for poor performance or quality.